Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pictures taken while visiting various sites

Thanks
    Blow the whistle murdock. This is nonsense.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    this picture looks harmless...where in fact this is one of the most dangerous pictures i have...this is a 3 phase 400 volt cable strap to a refrigeration pipe below a counter in a shop...the cable is joined together with connector blocks and taped up with insulation tape... so what is so bad about that you ask...well the firstly it is on the ground the joint are not ip65 which means that when the people working here get the mop and start cleaning...the joints are submersed in water... how someone hasnt been electricuted here yet i am still puzzled...the only explaination i have is that when they clean... the motors are not running or they are standing in gum boots cleaning.
    the customer has no claim against the company responsible for the work carried out in this image as it is busy going into liquidation...just hope you are not outstanding money from this company it is one of the big refrigeration companies in durban.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    My husband and I were discussing the issue of the tendency to sue for almost anything in the U.S.A. Our grandchild was invited to a birthday party, included in the invitation was a disclaimer from any possibility of sueing which had to be signed and handed in on arrival at the party venue.
    We were further shocked when we were advised to tell "play date" parents of any potential dangers, such as a trampoline, and to protect ourselves from the possibility of being sued.

Our grandchild is not permitted to take cupcakes to school (They must be arranged through the canteen!)

Although I truly am horrified for the necessity of such caution, I argue that at least this must raise the standard of workmen etc. (provided one checks that the company is insured!), as no company would take a chance of being sued!

The average person has absolutely no way of "checking" electrical work carried out!
    Clearly there is basically no concern regarding professional accountability by some contractors, a further concern is that this results in "unfair" pricing between competing quotes, as reputable companies have higher operating costs in doing the work right in the first place, and has the added cost of adequate insurance cover.

The "fly by the seat of their pants" company gets away with what I personally consider potential "criminal" negligence -especially in the case of the installation at an aged residence.

If you do attempt to sue in South Africa it seems as if one has to prove that an "intent to do harm" has to be proven before negligence results in any liability, this is not serving our rights.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Suspended
    Thanks
    i was a witness in a robbery were one of the security company personal almost shot me by mistake...the bullet missed me by about 30 cm and logged in the fridge next to me...i opened a case of negligant use of a firearm in a public place...i was treated like a criminal and threatened with all sorts of things...i spent hours in court waiting for the case to actually happen after days wasted in court i walked away...then i was sent a warrent for my arrest because i decided to stop wasting my time going to court...i was then forced to go to court wasted 6 hours in pinetown court to be told the case had been thrown out...bottom line i dont see or her no evil anymore.

the only prosecuting system that works in this country is when you dont pay a parking ticket and dont appear in court they send an armed task team out to collect you and lock you up without bail until you pay which was a R50 then became a R350 one because i didnt appear i court on the due date..trust me on this one i have had first hand experience.

Suspended
    Thanks
    something i just thought of which might help if you think the coc or work carried out is not up to standard...the ECA offers R1500.00 defective workmanship cover...make sure the contractor is an eca member...if the work is not up to standard put in a claim against the ECA for defective workmanship and see what happens...i dont know of anyone who has claimed but if anyone has...please let us know what the outcome was.

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave i have been requested to do a coc inspection on a property in westville...regent place which has just been sold...apparently there is some history...i have been given a pile of documentation with a coc issued on the 15 march 2004 indicating the installation is safe by a company with a postal address in balito and a faults list which was done shortly after the owner moved in because of a despute that the installation was not safe...since then another electrical company has done minor electrical repairs and maintence...i have been given the task of checking the installation to verify if the faults list is valid and and if so put a value to the repairs required...and to carry out a full inspection of the installation because the customer (seller)doesnt want to be caught up in a battle with the purchaser...this sounds like it is going to be an interesting test.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    ...this sounds like it is going to be an interesting test.
    They always are

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave you will relieved to know after a 3 1/2 hour test i only managed to find a hand full of problems...

the only serious problem was an earth wire which was not connected in 2 locations.

4 covers missing on round boxes

a light switch which was not earthed

and the sprag which entered the DB for the main switch...someone cut a slot in the cover which cannot be sealed.

i went through the list made up by alcocks electrical and tom jones and verified repairs had been done.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for letting me know, Murdock. All I know for sure is we're a lot better at this than when we first started out.

The job rings a bell, which means there must have been some drama along the line if I got to hear about it. I can't remember what it was all about, though. I'll pass the message on to Alan who is director in charge of technical for electrical. It'll probably mean more to him.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Already your insurance will not pay out if the work done was not covered by a certificate and it causes a fire, there is no doubt about that, read the fine print in your policy.
    Lee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast