Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pictures taken while visiting various sites

Suspended
    Thanks
    2 things wrong here firstly the box was plastered closed and secondly the one wire is a 4 mm and the other 2.5 mm if there was a 20 amp circuit breaker in the DB feeding this circuit it wouldnt be a problem... but the fact that there was a 30 amp breaker makes it a problem...it is extremely difficult to find a box plastered closed...so if you see an electrician doing this take a photo report him and record it for your own good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring plastered into the wall.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	181  

Suspended
    Thanks
    can someone please explain to me how on earth you get the cover off this DB to carry out routine maintenance or add a cable or replace a circuit breaker because i sure as heck couldnt figue this one out...i had to use extreme force with a big wood saw... the owner wasnt impressed... but hey... he should have thought about that when he told the cupboard company to cover the DB in the first place.

Name:	db in the cupboard.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	182  

Suspended
    Thanks
    if this is your DB best you be getting an electrican who knows a little about electricity.

Name:	no cover.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	183  
    Last edited by murdock; 25-Nov-07 at 09:34 PM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    this picture looks harmless...where in fact this is one of the most dangerous pictures i have...this is a 3 phase 400 volt cable strap to a refrigeration pipe below a counter in a shop...the cable is joined together with connector blocks and taped up with insulation tape... so what is so bad about that you ask...well the firstly it is on the ground the joint are not ip65 which means that when the people working here get the mop and start cleaning...the joints are submersed in water... how someone hasnt been electricuted here yet i am still puzzled...the only explaination i have is that when they clean... the motors are not running or they are standing in gum boots cleaning.

Name:	3 phase cable on the floor.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	184  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    I recently had work done where cable to a plug in one of my rooms was rewired and joined to an existing junction box in the roof. I asked for a compliance certificate for the work done and was told that I was not compliant as, one of the many problems, the junction boxes had no covers. Now this 'electrician' says there were no covers to start with, so he did not put any on when he fixed the wiring problem.
    That just blows me away. At least put a cover on the box you've connected too, surely!

The whole thing with missing box covers is pure laziness. We've been to brand new installations, and not a lid anywhere.

I'm printing this thread for discussion at our next production meeting on Monday. The least I can do is make sure we don't have these types of quality issues in my own organisation.

Suspended
    Thanks
    you know the saying everywhere you go!!!

Dave
    maybe you should do some unexpected visits to some of the sites your company has tested...i would hate to be the one to put pics on your website.

Suspended
    Thanks
    lets look at this issue i have with the builders electrician on site at the moment he is still doing the work...is is completely unregistered not with the ecb,,,workmans comp...uif etc etc...he is almost finished connecting the building... i think the building inspector is going to request a COC or maybe he takes a back hand i dont know...the point is... whoever is going to sign over this installaton doesnt know that there are 11 junction boxes under the plaster...unless you have my pictures...because he has never been to site during the progress of the job...if it passes the instrument test it is fine...at least if something goes wrong and the 2 or 3 year old living in the house is killed on site he should be able to get away with it...the problem is the person who is gona be accountable is whoever signs over the COC not the person who did the work this is why i have walked away from the job...then on brighter note maybe nothing ever goes wrong then everyone can say what was all the fuss about...in fact i have made a decision in future not to fuss a about things anymore either...i get myself worked up for nothing... as i mentioned before i personally believe the COC is a money making racket and as long as the public are prepared to waste their money on them who am i to say any different...i cant help people who cant help themselves.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    Dave
    maybe you should do some unexpected visits to some of the sites your company has tested...i would hate to be the one to put pics on your website.
    That is exactly what is going through my mind. My guys are pretty good, and if there was a mistake I trust it would be an honest one, but you've raised the sort of stuff that I'd like to make sure is front of their mind... Just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    lets look at this issue i have with the builders electrician on site at the moment he is still doing the work...is is completely unregistered not with the ecb,,,workmans comp...uif etc etc...he is almost finished connecting the building... i think the building inspector is going to request a COC or maybe he takes a back hand i dont know...the point is... whoever is going to sign over this installaton doesnt know that there are 11 junction boxes under the plaster...
    I think this is exactly the crux, particularly with new installations.

What is needed is a COC with all the details of a new installation completed, which is subtlely different from a COC that is issued arising from a test situation.

The electricity supplier needs this COC before they will supply power. Now I'd hope that they are paying attention to that subtle difference between a "test only" certificate and a "new installation" certificate.

But even if they do, there is a fair chance that your mate has an arrangement with a wireman to sign off with the "correct" details anyway.

How else would they get away with it?

Suspended
    Thanks
    well the COC has been issued...i confronted the electrical contractor advised him he has 2 options 1 withdraw the COC rectify the problems or 2... i contact 3 independent companies to to whom i will give copies of the photos...meet them on site to indicate the problem i have encountered during the course of the installation...once i have all their reports i will then contact ian mee the highway mail and the daily news and not forgetting brian bilton because i would like him to see what all the fuss is about and last but not least the person responsible for isssuing the COC...i will then expose the master electrician for the fraud he is...but before i could finish was told they would withdraw the COC...i then got a call to advise me that the master electrian who was suppose to collect his fraudulant COC and apologise to the customer is on leave till the middle of Jan 2008...well we all know what that means...unfortunately for these people i have taken this personally and see it as a kick in the teeth and will not let this go even if it takes me until 2010 to sort it out...once i get all my facts straight will be exposing the electrical contractor and master electrician by company and names if this forum will allow it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Best of luck, Murdock.

I can't help feeling there is something wrong with the current system. Maybe your efforts will help shake things up a bit.
    Last edited by Dave A; 30-Dec-07 at 08:22 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast