Thread: Pastel Xpress - How to restore a V17 backup into a V18 installation

Thanks

Pastel Xpress - How to restore a V17 backup into a V18 installation

hi,

i am involved in the scrap metals & minerals business.

i have instaled the Xpress Startup V18.2.1

i have the backup files in .zip format in V17

my question is how to i put this back in pastel to carry on doing my accounting ??

apologies if this question is already asked, as i have been on hold with the Pastel Call center for about 40 min

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Don’t you have a conversion tool of some sort? I remember in the past searching on the windows button in the left corner for the word Conversion, then the program asks you on which software you currently are on, and the it converts to the current version. Let me know if you managed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitarth shah View Post
    hi,

i am involved in the scrap metals & minerals business.

i have instaled the Xpress Startup V18.2.1

i have the backup files in .zip format in V17

my question is how to i put this back in pastel to carry on doing my accounting ??

apologies if this question is already asked, as i have been on hold with the Pastel Call center for about 40 min
    Apologies for the late response.

Firstly, you need to extract the V17 backup zip in Windows, so that it creates the V17 company as a folder. Save the folder in your Xpress18 folder.

Use the Add Company button to add the company to the menu.

Open the company - the system will then upgrade the data files to V18.

There is no need to use the Conversion module for companies created in V12 onwards.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Apologies for the late response.

Firstly, you need to extract the V17 backup zip in Windows, so that it creates the V17 company as a folder. Save the folder in your Xpress18 folder.

Use the Add Company button to add the company to the menu.

Open the company - the system will then upgrade the data files to V18.

There is no need to use the Conversion module for companies created in V12 onwards.
    thanks, Neville,
    do i make a directory having my co name in the "Xpress18" folder & extract all the files there ? then carry on as you explained ?? if not, pls could you explain a step by step procedure, as i am new to this.

many thanks

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Create the folder with a short name for your company (8 characters or less) in the Xpress18 folder. Add the company in Xpress as Neville mentioned and open it. It will convert automatically. If you get an error saying backup in progress when you try open the company, browse to the company folder and delete the backup.txt file, then open the data again.

Xpress Startup only allows for 1 database, so don't name the company with the year in the name. eg rather use HSSM than HSSM2019

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
    Create the folder with a short name for your company (8 characters or less) in the Xpress18 folder. Add the company in Xpress as Neville mentioned and open it. It will convert automatically. If you get an error saying backup in progress when you try open the company, browse to the company folder and delete the backup.txt file, then open the data again.

Xpress Startup only allows for 1 database, so don't name the company with the year in the name. eg rather use HSSM than HSSM2019
    many thanks Kevin,
    its working...
    I have done it to all the companies I have, the funny thing is .. the main company .. is 100% .. where even the custom invoice formats are showing & editable in that main company. unfortunately this is not happening in the other companies. the invoice format is the default one in all the others.

could you help

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If you want the same customised forms in each company, copy the *.enz files from the main company into the other company folders. Once you have done that, you can edit them in forms designer and make the changes you need.
    You also need to ensure your paper style (per user) is set the same as in the main company. File...Printer / Fonts Setup - then use the paper style assistant and select the type of paper you are printing on (normally plain - single sheet) for the different documents. If you are using the plain single sheet option, your customised forms will normally be csdocsp.enz and csmthsp.enz and the pdf/email forms will be csdocpdfsp.enz and csmthpdfsp.enz

If you aren't coming right, drop me a mail and let me know - kevin@ksconsulting.co.za