one of my customers decide to buy a premises...so i go out to site to meet with the electrical contractor who has carried out COC inspection.

we meet on site and walk through the site...most of the light dont work he says the certificate only covers to the light terminals...it doesnt cover the light fitting...fair enough...there are about 58 lights which need to be fixed and all the lights are badly rusted...so we move on...go through the DBs old breakers wiring old...but pvc this is good...blank covers missing on the DB and some of the ext plug boxes require blanks...we get to the first floor this is were i really start getting concerned because the water is litterally running out the light fittings but the fittings are not covered by the COC so we dont need to worry... yeah right...the supply cable is strapped to the sprinkler system... i have seen worse but i must be missing something...the building is being sold as is so it is fine that the lights dont work...well i feel that maybe i have been taking this COC thing too seriously and need to be a lot more relaxed with my inspection and save my customers a lot of money at least i dont have to worry about getting caught out for issuing unvalid COCs because there i no policing agent here in KZN and at the end of the day the customer just wants the cheapest job.

by the way the electrician who issued the COC 3 months ago finally arrived at my customers flat replaced 2 plugs...still hasnt put the labels on the DB or the blanks feels they are not needed and left...2 days later the ceiling fan made a load bang and no longer works...well i suppose the fan is not covered by the coc so he wont have a claim...i will just have to make some money and go finish what the other electrican has already been paid for.