Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOV generators

Thanks
    Hi Ian

Your url's refers.

https://www.builders.co.za/Tools-%26...00000000643611[/QUOTE]

I can tell you with confidence that this Grip alternator is NOT VOV wound and IS suitable for connecting to a domestic installation.

I have done a number of generator installations and the only one that I have found that is suitable is the Grip.

Cannot vouch for the Ryobi. Haven't checked it out yet, But the Grip is ok.

Peace out ... Derek

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Grip is warranted by Gentech Industries. I called them yesterday and asked if it was a V-O-V wound unit. He had to check the specs and came back with the info that it is indeed V-O-V.

Thanks
    Instead of taking hi's word, start one, connect a load to it and use your multimeter to measure output voltages.

I've dealt with many clients having Grip alternators and according to the readings, not one of them has been vov wound.

I've also spoken to many guys selling generators and if you ask them if a particular unit is vov wound, they don't know what you're talking about.

Rather do the multimeter test to confirm. Just don't do it without a light load connected to the output because the readings can then be deceiving.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I eventually purchased a MAc Afric 7.5kw Generator from Ardendorff last week and ran it with extensions. I must say that their aftersales service is second to none. That aside, I have been in contact with their "go-to guy" and asked him if the unit is a V-O-V wound generator, here was his reply:

" Good day Lee
    The machine is not a VOV it does normally have 70 v on neutral but the electrician will be able to sort that out with a floating neutral "

After explaining that I am the electrician I got the next email reply.

"Hi Lee,
    As discussed telephonically, you requested we just put in writing a way forward to get your neutral line below 24V in accordance with SANS10142. This is a fairly simple process and does not void your warranty.

OF the 2 lines connected on the connector block at the back of the alternator housing, you will need to bridge the neutral line to the earth pole on the back of the alternator housing. This will give you 230V between live and neutral and 230V between live and earth, while your neutral line will register about 2 to 3 volt. "

I will be exploring this sometime when it warms up but in the meantime I would appreciate any feedback you guys may have.
    It is proving extremely difficult to get a wiring diagram out of them

Regards
    Lee
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Hi Leecatt

Check out this attached thread. There's a photo of exactly how I've been doing it all the time, successfully.

The bridge can be seen. It's the black wire with yellow lugs.

All the generators that I've opened so far are identical. Only the branding that differs.

Just remove the round end cover of the genny and it's easy peasy.

Tip: There are 2 thick wires coming from inside the stator. The brown is live. White is neutral. Just bridge the white to earth.

Cheers.

https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/...vov+generators

Thanks
    My way of quickly checking if it's vov or not. If both lamps light up it's vov and cannot be used to connect to the installation.

If it's a vov, don't even try and modify it. The centre tap is not accessible unless you want to strip the genny into a thousand pieces to get at it to disconnect it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210617_173832.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	8818

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi Leecatt

Check out this attached thread. There's a photo of exactly how I've been doing it all the time, successfully.

The bridge can be seen. It's the black wire with yellow lugs.

All the generators that I've opened so far are identical. Only the branding that differs.

Just remove the round end cover of the genny and it's easy peasy.

Tip: There are 2 thick wires coming from inside the stator. The brown is live. White is neutral. Just bridge the white to earth.

Cheers.

https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/...vov+generators
    Thank you for this. Another question that I have is, if this is the correct way to wire it to be 220 volts then why doesn't it come wired like this in the first place?
    Do you have a wiring diagram for your gennie please?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    @leecatt

Remember that generator is manufactured as a portable unit where neutral earth voltage is not important. That's why it's not bridged. We are just using the generator for something it wasn't actually manufactured for.

By bridging the neutral and earth, you are now changing it to a standby generator to be connected to the installation where the neutral earth voltage should ideally be zero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12