Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GENERATORS?UPS?INVERTERS?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That'll keep you out of mischief! Hope you get the job.

Thanks
    Get a generator. Make sure the regulator is suited to your requirements. You cannot run a computer on any generator.Some makes are not that good and can damage your equipment. Stay away from Chinese makes. I would suggest that you do not have it wired into your DB Board, but go through a seperate DB with its own plugs. Prevents accidents when power is restored and cheaper. Your electrician can do that for you.Alternatively you can have a change-over switch installed in DB.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to TFSA, Upstairs

I've been wondering about the "don't buy Chinese generators" story. I've heard it a few times now, and I have to wonder where it comes from.

A business partner of mine compared prices between a "known brand" dealer and an "non-branded" generator retailer and he found the "non-branded" retailer was about 25% cheaper than the "brand" dealer on what seemed to be exactly the same machine.

The dealer's explanation? The "opportunist" was selling Chinese made machines made under licence from the brand, but his machines came from the Land of the Rising Sun - hence the higher price.

Thanks
    I sit with more or less the same problem. I have a 2.5kva made in china (Ryobi) generator without a AVR and plan to run 2 PC's from it. The measured Volts is 250-260v without load with nothing attached (no idea on the Hz output).

My options are to take it back to GAME and declare it a no-deal or to keep it and run it with a UPS (600w), linked to the PC's.

Anyone to help me decide?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter1 View Post
    I have a 2.5kva made in china (Ryobi) generator without a AVR and plan to run 2 PC's from it. The measured Volts is 250-260v without load with nothing attached (no idea on the Hz output).
    Hmm. I think you've just answered my previous post.
    Last edited by Dave A; 05-Feb-08 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pieter - Have you taken a voltage reading when the generator is under a steady load?

Suspended
    Thanks
    make sure the ups is an online one and will work with the generator...

take a look at the images of a recording i did for a short period of time on a petrol generator...37 transients occurred in matter of couple of minutes...this what kills your sensitive electronic equipment...unless some one can show you a pictures like these on their test equipment dont believe any cr*p you hear about AVR and pure sine waves...ask them to produce a recording of their generator or ups or invertor taken while running at your site or office not one they have downloaded from a web site.

be careful these are crazy times and every person his uncle and mother in law are trying to unload generators...ups and invertors...unfortunatley we the public are paying for the eskom/goverment fiasco in more ways than you know...penalties on using electricity???? interest rate hikes ...high inflation ...soon the water problems??? what next??????

you ask yourself why are we always the ones who always have to suffer for other peoples mistakes....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Cool Deon

Hi all I’m new on the forum but an old hand around the block! To the question on solar equipment and the functioning of these systems for backup there are a few important factors"
    1. Generators are stinking, noisy convertors of expensive fuel to noise and is very bad to our environment with the gasses they release, so if you want this and like stink air and pay like crazy for fuel, get yourself a piece of this crap!
    We are from the 21st century guys and girls, didn’t you know the world has something like electronics? And who says it is expensive? Well this is a total misconception and a real argument for people that can’t do analysis over a time period, if you take a time span of one year; I bet you will be better of with a UPS Solar system!! Ya Ya there is always the guys and girls with the question marks on the forehead not understanding, so let me help a bit as this is my speciality, making power to use from the sun.

Q, Why is invertors so expensive?
    A, In South Africa, ripping off people became a game and creating a total negative on some products. I’ve seen companies buying these units and good ones from abroad for about R1000-00 on a 1.5KVA pure sine wave with 93% efficiency and it’s been sold in South Africa for a small amount of R4500-00, that’s what I call a RIP OFF!!
    Q, what should I be careful when buying a Inverter for
    A, 1. Make dead sure this is a pure sine wave inverter as Square wave units will damage anything that has a Motor drive like a fridge and some other equipment
    2. Make sure this is a good system with efficiency of at least around 90%; remember the leftover % is wasted power used
    3 Make sure the unit fit for the application, for computers an online but for lighting a relay transfer will be good
    4. If it is used for standby lighting or online backup make sure the Charger inside the unit (Must have one inside or you have to buy a external
    One) is capable to recharge the unit batteries in at least 8 hours. External battery systems give you the advantage in making the battery capacity bigger for longer backup
    5. The most Important is don’t believe all the crap people tell you about the invertors either ask real experts or learn the info yourself by getting it from the net. Inverters are and will be the better solution in backup; you can have 10 min or ten days backup, your choice, energy come from a source the bigger the source the longer the time

Any person is welcome to contact me and Il gladly give them some info, keep it short please and hi wise guys out there who knows everything, please I’m not here for arguments about how much you know but to help these who is in the dark, lately a lot by Escom, the angel of darkness, lol

Suspended
    Thanks
    ups solar systems...i looked into this system for some of my customers but at the time... costing and capacity were the 2 issues taken into consideration which made me consider other options...

give us some sort of ball park figue what it would cost to rig up a 2 kva system with an 8 hour run time and a charge time of 10 hours...lets say the units are 10 metres apart...how long would it take to recover from the cost of this type of installation.

i have found adverts all over the place with R75- R150 per month saving...phone your geyser...knows your geyser status...etc...etc...problem is this unit costs R2000 + installation...just to let everyone know you can buy a heineman timer with a battery reserve which has a 20 amp switching relay which means you can switch a 4000 watt geyser for as little as R600+ installation (they clip directly into the DB so the installation cost is min.)

Thanks
    hi guys and girls

I have heard that I cant run my UPS's off of my inverter. is this true? i have 2 servers running off 350w power supplies and both have UPS's and my inverter is a 1200w.

can anyone help?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.