Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Tips on web marketing

Thanks

More Tips on web marketing

Having spent the last couple of months looking at one web site after the next here are some tips that I can recommend and would be glad to hear comments as to how other people feel about these points.

1. Choice of Domain Name
    It's useful to choose a domain name that matches your business activity, and contains at least one of the major keywords. This is not always possible, but it helps.

2. Register domain name
    Register your domain name NOW, even if you have no intention of creating a website just yet. There are companies in RSA that specialize in registering high and not so high profile domain names. They then hope to sell these to rightful owners at inflated prices.

3. Website developer
    Choose your website developer carefully and check their performance, in terms of search results for targeted key words of the sites they have created for their other clients.

Understand that to be listed in a search result is no mean achievement and can be very costly to achieve and more costly if your website does not get the traffic.

The website and the material and source code used therein belongs to the owner. Make sure the developer understands this and gives you ALL the source code, so that in future you can, if necessary get another company to make changes and additions. Web Developers are not immune to insolvency.

4. Target Market (viewers)
    Understand your potential visitors and purpose of your new website, which can be to communicate with existing clients or to gain new ones. If the later make sure the home page conveys exactly what the website is about and who is represented. I have come across many sites and even after 5 minutes I am still unsure what the site is about. Is it a club or a business or a private website. Most internet users are not that patient. They just move on.

5. legal status
    Clearly state your legal status and owner of the site as well as location. The internet is a big place and a number of searches are area specific. e.g. "ABC services pretoria." Any way even if I found your site, I may be more inclined to take an interest if I know that you are able to be of service and if you are an online service provider why should I order online, if you are in the next street. Secondly I would never do business on line if all I knew about the seller was that they have a website titled "buyonlinenow.co.za"

6. Bank Account details
    Bearing in mind the number of scams that abound, if you must publish a bank account detail on the internet, I would not publish the detail of my main current account, but use a deposit account that is cleared of all funds at least daily.

7. Search results
    In order to maximize search results arrange services or products into groups that are likely to be the target of a search query. Deal with each on a separate WebPages that are all uniquely titled and set up to maximize a return on the targeted key words and content that address the keywords and subject matter and content of the page.
    Some say content is king. I would say specialized content is king.

8. Avoid Duplicate sites and Content

Do not be tempted to create two websites on the assumption that this will double your chances and a have essentially the same content in both. Google is hunting these sites and removing them from their index.

9.Most Popular Internet Search engine.
    Do we all agree that it is Google, MWeb and 24.com ( both seem to be running on the Google engine but contained different results) and lastly our local search engines.

The rest including some of my pet hates will have to wait for part 2.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryss View Post
    9.Most Popular Internet Search engine.
    Do we all agree that it is Google, MWeb and 24.com ( both seem to be running on the Google engine but contained different results) and lastly our local search engines.
    Google is the biggie - no doubt. I've been suprised by how much search engine traffic Mweb generates, not to be ignored here in SA.

I'm interested you've left out Yahoo and Live in that list.

Thanks
    Hi Dave A,
    Well I left out Yahoo and Live becuase they are not geared to search SA only.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Aha. Thanks. Yet another area where Yahoo and Live are behind the big G.

Thanks
    Just a correction. Live does have SA only results.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Double Aha!

Thanks Chatmaster.

Thanks
    Hi
    So it does. Sorry should have checked instead of runny off the memory banks. But still... Live WWW useage is less 10%, so not really a player

see source http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2156451

It is, however, a pity that Yahoo do not have the ability to search RSA. Its a pain to have to type search term and add site: co.za or "AND co.za" and in doing tis missing all the RSA sites that re not .co.za

True about MWeb, They appear on my site stats as Google but their results, although good, are different from Google. Would be interested to know which engine the are using.

Thanks
    Just shocked at the poor relsults Mweb and 24.com has in their search results. Try looking for a bookkeeper and keep on finding jobs! It is so frustrating Grrrrrrrr.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, how much more relevant were the Google results?

Thanks
    Much better! But if you didn't know that the results were different you wouldn't even have tried Google. I am just shocked that MWeb and 24.com would go and tamper with the results in such a way. I mean, if I was looking for a job I would have included it in my search!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast