Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Tips on web marketing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And people wonder why Google rules

Thanks
    Chatmaster,

With due respect you did include it by default.

If you were looking for bookkeeping services then that's what your search term should have be built around, otherwise anything with the word bookkeeper is fair game.

Search for bakkie for LDV canopy and not just canopy etc. as canopy will give one every type of canopy under the sun and not a canopy for yoiur LDV or Bakkie.

However, the reverase also applies, in that at times one must not be specific. Eg Tyres. Tyres fit all cars so why specify the model.

While on the subject more and more people are doing searches such as Trailer hire roodepoort. i.e. specific to suburb. and how many websites have suburb as keywords and in opening preamble.... very few.

I am busy with an artcile on the subject and will let you know when I have finished the research.

Thanks
    Sorry Ryss. I do not get the point you are trying to make. The Google technology is specifically designed to give accurate results based on what the user is looking for. By choosing "bookkeeper in sandton" I specified that I am looking for a bookkeeper in sandton not a bookkeeping job in sandton. The Google technology is intelligent to realize this. It is clear that Mweb has no clue what they are doing and therefore they return completely invalid results. They should rather leave the Google algo's the way they are Google knows what they are doing.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Lets stick to the topic of bookkeepers. SA Search
    Do the following searches without "" on Google.co.za and then on the MWeb group of sites...
    "bookkeeper in randfontein"
    "bookkeeper in krugersdorp"
    "bookkeeper in roodepoort"
    "accountant in roodepoort"

In all these examples the Mweb results are jobs related. What also becomes clear is that there are very little competition on these terms...

If you take for example "attorney in roodepoort" you once again get very relevant serps on Google and jobs in MWeb.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Well I have just done a search as suggested and about 50% of the first 10 are all job related.

I want the Google you are using. LOL.

Do you have a profile with Google to limit your search results or something?

If I search for {"bookkeeping services" +randfontein} I get 33 returned.

Google 1

If I search for {bookkeeper in randfontein} I get 389.

Google 2

So I understand what you are saying but this is not normal, which is that any site that has any one of the words searched for will be returned and this therefore, includes all bookeeper jobs and anything with randfontein.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryss View Post
    If I search for {"bookkeeping services" +randfontein} I get 33 returned.
    I think the idea was to drop the quote marks, ie bookkeeping services randfontein.

The quote mark issue is an interesting aside. I confess I hardly ever use them, unless I'm not getting the results I want and I get desperate because I've run out of other options/relevant keyword selections.
    Does anyone use quote marks much in their search queries?

Thanks
    If I'm looking for a specific phrase (quite often with engineering gobbledygook) I use them. I often use site:za, and almost never use a - (google doesn't care about +'s btw). One that I've recently started using a little is the filetype:.pdf.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks
    The reason why there are probably more pages with bookkeeper as a job up for grabs is because the job sites are more likely to be large. The size of the site is just one of the factors that get weighted by the search engines. So sites with thousands of pages are more likely to float to the surface with more general (think one word rather than specific phrases) searches.

NB! But please note that the size of your site is not the only factor; so putting together a site of 20 000 pages is not going to ensure that you get to the top.

(If anyone would like to know a bit more about factors that affect your search engine rankings I am running my next course on electronic marketing on Wednesday, 6 February 2008 in Centurion, Gauteng.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12