Thread: EMP 501 Reconciliation

Email problem
    Thanks

EMP 501 Reconciliation

For the past three months I have been using my Payroll software (Sage) to submit monthly EMP 201s directly to the DOL. Previously I submitted EMP 201s manually on the SARS eFiling website. The EMP 501 generated by SARS now only includes March, April and May submissions, i.e. not the submissions made directly to DOL through my Payroll system. My question is, since I do not have a Windows PC or laptop, I cannot use EasyFile, I presume I must manually complete the SARS generated EMP 501 and file it with eFiling. But since there are three months submissions missing, the software/eFiling website complains that there is a big difference between the estimated and actual amounts due and wants me to give a reason for that. What do I say?

Also, I presume when the end of year EMP 501 is due, the SARS generated form will not have any of the September to February entries and complain again. And I doing something wrong? Should I submit the EMP 501 through the DOL website?

Thanks in advance,

Andre

Thanks
    Hi Andre. Perhaps I have a different version of Sage Pastel Payroll but I normally print out the EMP201 details and then use SARS eFiling to enter the amounts and do the payment. I was not aware that it is possible to do it via the payroll program.

Perhaps you should log onto eFiling and request an EMP Statement to see if your payments have gone through.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Email problem
    Thanks
    Yeah, Sage One Online files the EMP210 directly to the DOL. But is seems that the DOL and SARS are not on the same page as regards the submissions. Not sure what to make of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre_h View Post
    Yeah, Sage One Online files the EMP210 directly to the DOL. But is seems that the DOL and SARS are not on the same page as regards the submissions. Not sure what to make of this.
    Reading that DoL vs SARS bit, I wonder if there isn't a mix-up between the UI19 return for UIF (DoL) vs the EMP201 return to SARS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Reading that DoL vs SARS bit, I wonder if there isn't a mix-up between the UI19 return for UIF (DoL) vs the EMP201 return to SARS.
    Yes. I was thinking the same thing.

I know nothing of the Sage One Online process so am interested in knowing how your made your PAYE payments to SARS?
    Last edited by Mike C; 17-Oct-18 at 07:32 AM.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Yes. I was thinking the same thing.

I know nothing of the Sage One Online process so am interested in knowing how your made your PAYE payments to SARS?
    There are no PAYE payments to be made atm. My staff are under the PAYE threshold, so the only payments are UIF and that is a DOL thing. But you are right, if there were PAYE payments, they should be made to SARS. I'm not sure what to do now. Perhaps not do the automatic DOL filing through SAGE but revert to the manual eFiling submissions to SARS. I'll ask SAGE about this but I think the safest will be to revert back to eFiling. The problem is now I've not done any eFiling for the past three months ��. Anyway, I think I'll also call SARS and ask them what is the best way forward. Thanks for your input everyone. Andre

Email problem
    Thanks
    Maybe UIF payments should be made to the DOL and PAYE payments to SARS? But the EMP 201 lumps everything together. How do other people do this? It seems sensible to make the entire payment to SARS if you are submitting the EMP 201 to SARS via eFiling. Perhaps just also send the EMP 201 to the DOL so that they have a record of it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Andre

Email problem
    Thanks
    Ok so I just realised the submission that Sage makes to the DOL is a Declaration of Earnings, i.e. the U19 form, and not an EMP 201. I was blood confused.... So I guess I just have to revert to submitting the EMP 201s via eFiling and pay SARS directly. Although I read somewhere that UIF can be paid to the DOL if the employer is not registered for PAYE. I am registered but my employees fall below the threshold.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre_h View Post
    Maybe UIF payments should be made to the DOL and PAYE payments to SARS? But the EMP 201 lumps everything together. How do other people do this? It seems sensible to make the entire payment to SARS if you are submitting the EMP 201 to SARS via eFiling.
    We submit the UI19 return via uFiling and the EMP201 return via eFiling.
    The EMP201 return includes the UIF amount payable.
    Payment is made to SARS and we don't forward proof of payment to UIF.
    I've been doing it that way for years without any drama from UIF so the payment info must trickle through from SARS to UIF department eventually.

I suggest your UI19 process via SAGE is just fine to deal with the UI19 return of earnings submission.

Thanks
    I do an electronic UIF declaration from my Payroll that I attach and email to declarations@uif.gov.za.

I then complete my EMP201 to SARS via eFiling with the PAYE/SDL/UIF amounts and pay it all together.

I receive an acknowledment via return email from the UIF Declaration System informing me (if there were any errors or) that it was received with no errors which I keep as proof of submission.