Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickbooks Journey

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Andromeda, I would think that the support staff would ask the questions you did above as a troubleshooting process... Anyways at least its sorted.

Do you know if its possible to change \ set the from name displayed when emails are sent from QuickBooks. At the moment it uses just the first part of the email address.

e.g. abc@xyz.co.za - name shows as abc

Can this be changed \ set to show e.g. abc plumbers?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmithS View Post
    Update: Finally got the reports to work correctly without me having to alter the Excel file.

Now next issue that I really need assistance on (Quickbooks support has not been much help here)

I cannot get the Quickbooks PDF driver to work - this is the integrated\built-in pdf driver that Quickbooks uses to send out invoices etc... (ABS PDF Driver v400)

Comes up with the following error when trying to print "Activation Error - Printer not activated, error code -30"

Any help appreciated as I tried all sorts of fixes from searching the net with no luck...
    Hi AmithS, how did you manage to solve the export to Excel problem?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Andromeda, I would think that the support staff would ask the questions you did above as a troubleshooting process... Anyways at least its sorted.

Do you know if its possible to change \ set the from name displayed when emails are sent from QuickBooks. At the moment it uses just the first part of the email address.

e.g. abc@xyz.co.za - name shows as abc

Can this be changed \ set to show e.g. abc plumbers?
    Go Preferences
    Send Forms
    Then select the Tab Company Preferences
    At the dropdown box Show, make sure Invoices is selected.

You can either edit the default profile or make a new one. To edit the existing one, highlight the default and then click edit. The Insert Field button at the right bottom enables different fields.

At the end of the day you should be able to produce a populated text message that satisfies your wishes.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Andromeda, I will try it out

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi SoTrue, I adjusted the number formatting in the Windows regional settings (the settings that apply to all software used on your pc)

Essentially I made the number separator to separate 1000's set to , so instead of QBs exporting with a space between thousands it exports with a , between thousands which excel recognises.

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks
    Hi SoTrue, I adjusted the number formatting in the Windows regional settings (the settings that apply to all software used on your pc)

Essentially I made the number separator to separate 1000's set to , so instead of QBs exporting with a space between thousands it exports with a , between thousands which excel recognises.

Hope this makes sense...
    Hi AmithS

Yes, it makes sense, I'll do that. However, I prefer displaying amounts with the space as a separator. I suppose I can still format the numbers in Excel.

Thanks

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I also prefer the spaces, always formatted my numbers that way.

Its the only way I could find to use the exported file directly from QBs without having to remove each space to get the numbers to automatically calculate.

Maybe someone else has a solution? QBs support was also no help...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    So my next question is around cost of goods sold (chart of accounts setup) specifically in Quickbooks,

Example
    * You purchase and pay for 10 apples for R100 each at a total of R1000 in January 2020
    * You use a different supplier to collect and deliver the apples to your store at a total cost of R500 paid for in February when your apples are ready
    * Essentially you have 2 invoices and they are paid for in 2 different months from 2 different suppliers
    * The apples make up 2/3 of the total cost to get the apples to your store and the transport makes up 1/3

Scenario 1
    * The apples are entered as COGS into Quickbooks and paid for in January - These are physical stock items in quickbooks as you keep track of the inventory
    * The transport is entered as COGS into Quickbooks and paid for in February - This is entered into quickbooks as other charges as it is not a stock item and inventory tracking is not required

Scenario 2
    * Exactly the same as Scenario 1 except that the transport is entered as an expense and not COGS

How this looks from an accounting perspective \ Quickbooks for both Scenario 1 & 2
    * The transport shows on the income statement\management accounts for the month of February in full R500 as an expense as it is classified as other charges and contributes to the months profit\loss
    * The apples on the other hand only show up as a COGS in the month that it was sold as it is an inventory item - so if you sell 1 apple a month you will have a COGS from March to December of R100 contributing to your profit\loss for the particular month

So my question is basically,
    Should the transport be a COGS or an Expense
    * As a COGS it skews the Gross Profit figures for the individual months as the transport costs are all taken into consideration in 1 month February
    * As an Expense the figures don't change however it does not skew the Gross Profit as such however the transport is then not taken into consideration in the COGS \ Gross Profit calculation

Your input is highly appreciated on how to handle the above or maybe how to input this differently into Quickbooks. Or maybe I just got it wrong and the transport is an expense?

A very very long post I know, just trying to explain it as best as possible...

Thanks hope this makes sense!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Transport inwards in that example, especially if material, is a cost of sale and is also part of the stock value at the end of any reporting period.

Quickbooks is elegant at dealing with it.

Have a look at the Help data for a Group Item. Bear in mind unit of sale and then explore the possibilities...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Andromeda, I think I understand what you explaining... Take the transport cost divided by number of units and add this to the apples\material as a group inventory item.

Did a quick read. Will read up abit more and see what I can come up with...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast