Thread: Previous Month's Closing Cashbook Balance Different From The Following Month's Opening Balance

Thanks

Previous Month's Closing Cashbook Balance Different From The Following Month's Opening Balance

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Pastel Partner V17 and I have only used it for the last three months. I posted bank transactions in a certain cashbook from January 2018 to August 2018 but I have just noticed that the closing cashbook balance in the month of May is different from the opening cashbook balance in the month of June. Ideally, the closing cashbook balance in one month should be the opening cashbook balance in the next month. What could be causing this difference? Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Hi Mulunga. Did the closing balance match your bank statement when you first did your entries? If so it could be that you have posted an entry "out of date". For example a June entry may have been entered with a May date.

If you have updated your cash book already you can print it out by going to "View" "General Ledger" "Transactions" "Cash Book Details"
    If you get an information box asking if you want to vew open batches you can say "No"
    Select the Cash Book you want to look at as well as the month. (You can view it on screen or print it to your printer)
    Now check off the entries against you Bank Statement.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your help. I have actually figured out that if an entry is made with a date that is out of the period in which you are posting, for example, an April customer receipt is posted in the April period using a January date, Pastel will consolidate that receipt with the opening cashbook balance in April. As a result, the closing cashbook balance in March will be different from the opening balance in April. Neither viewing cashbook details in April nor viewing the detailed general ledger account of the cashbook in April will show this error,not even viewing the entry type details of the cashbook in April, I do not why. The only way one would be able to see this mistake is by viewing the account where the other leg of the entry went in the period of April.