Thread: COC for Caravan's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member
    Thanks

COC for Caravan's

I was asked a question that I had to have a think and read on before I felt comfortable with trying to answer

Can you issue a COC for a caravan ?

According to SANS10142
    1.3 - This part of SANS 10142 does not apply to
    1.3 b) - automotive electrical equipment excluding the caravan part of a roving vehicle

To my surprise it seems that Joe does need to have a COC for his caravan and that the caravan park would be entitled to ask for it before allowing him to connect/plug in

I then look at the COC and say address ? - I now understand why they state Unique number where applicable and insert the registration number of the caravan
    Type of installation would be Other and I can described it as Caravan

Section 3 - Will need to cover myself as to the location and extent of the installation

Trying to see if I now need to install a DB in the caravan - Looks like it may be needed to complete the COC but the Caravan sites regulation ( 7.6.4) states that each site shall be feed by a socket outlet with earth leakage unless it is feed from a safety supply. The socket outlet must comply to SANS 60309-1 or 2 and have a six o'clock earth position - Is what we commonly refer to as a welding socket.

Changes are that there will not be a safety supply and that the supply to the site could be greater than 20 Amps as there is no restriction. So I suppose a DB will be necessary .
    The reg's do require Earth leakage at the socket outlet point , at the caravan site, so I may be able to leave that piece of equipment out of the DB .
    I feel that by installing an ELU in the caravan there could be incompatibility between different makes of ELU and nuisance tripping could occur.

Looks like there is another whole world of COC's to be written up - Does anybody see differently

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (22-Sep-18)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.