Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staffing Black List

Suspended
    Thanks

Staffing Black List

Would it be possible to setup a service or website where business owners can name and shame staff members after they have left your company to enable other business owners to avoid your mistake.
    I have had a few BAD experiences of late and I began to think, what if it was possible to know of these bad apples before you employed them.
    It should be fair and operated just like a credit reporting agency.
    Would other business owners find this info useful?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm toying with a similar idea for debtors who emigrate without settling their debts. In my latest case it seems there was a clear intention to defraud us.

If we can figure out the legal angles, I'm game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QUINN View Post
    Would it be possible to setup a service or website where business owners can name and shame staff members after they have left your company to enable other business owners to avoid your mistake.
    I have had a few BAD experiences of late and I began to think, what if it was possible to know of these bad apples before you employed them.
    It should be fair and operated just like a credit reporting agency.
    Would other business owners find this info useful?
    I think one would have to tread very carefully in your wording, as you might get sued for defamation (libel).Also it may be in contravention of LRA
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Suspended
    Thanks
    I don't think defamation would be an issue otherwise every credit reporting agency in the country would pend all their time in court.

This would purely be for information purposes, use it ....dont use it, at least the employer would have been informed.

How many time have you employed a person only to find that one month down the line they are a totally different person.

I just employed the most incompetent manager at three of my video shops.
    over the last 3 months he has cost me a fortune.
    When I asked him to appear at a disciplinary hearing he just left, assuming I fired him. Now he has made complaints at the Labour Dep, the CCMA, The unemployment commissioner,the bargaining council for the entertainment industry, the films and publications board, the SABC and the SAPS.

I have had to answer to all these institutions whether his claims had merit or not.
    Up to date I could not get him to attend a hearing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What would be the "required fields".

Full name - ID number - details of transgression - contact details of previous employer?
    I suppose the objective could be achieved just with full name and the contact details of the person filing the report for further details.

Any other ideas?
    Would you want it crawlable by search engines or private members only stuff?

I'm actually worried about the ID number part, thinking about it. So I think it would have to be a members only deal, and one where those who have access are of confirmed and traceable identity.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I was thinking along the lines of having a website where any one could search with an name and id. The site would then confirm a listing or decline .
    The client would then need to pay a small fee to access the info.
    We would need to verify the clients info with a registration process where we can confirm if the client is a legit business.
    The info could be along the line of a short description of the events and a disclaimer to protect the proprietor

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That sounds do-able.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi everyone

IMO, you don't want to go down this road. Even if you give a reference that might prevent such an encumbent from obtaining a new job, you will be opening the door for legal action being taken against you. ZA labour law.

There is also a case currently pending where an ex girlfriend slandered a boyfriend on a blog or site. It could well set a precedent for us in this interesting cyber world.

What would be interesting, is whether, in a specific case such as Quinns, you would be exempt on a "double jeopardy" basis from further legal action once the matter has been closed to the CCMA and courts satisfaction????? Just for interest sake???? Any lawyers?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    To a certain degree this doesn't make sense. When you interview candidates, don't you require contactable references? When you contact previous employers surely they will tell you about possible issues if they wish? Then again the applicant can lie about being unemployed for the past few months...

I think it is a very good idea to be honest. However I would also add that the site should contain both good and bad, therefore being a motivation to employees to perform. Then again I would'nt want to tell the world that I have an outstanding marketing manager just so they can steal him! lol

By starting such a site you will need infrastructure to ensure that claims made against previous employees are not just made by disgruntled employers. It will definitely happen that ex employers will just blacklist people out of anger, how do you ensure that that doesn't happen? I also think that the employee should be able to respond to claims.

Possibly blacklisting employers will also be a good idea. I can think of a few I would like to blacklist
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    www.hellochatmaster.com!
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast