Thread: Eco friendly installations

Thanks

Eco friendly installations

Hi ,to the members in the forum. I would like some advice in the following matters.

1 How does one deal with the fact that , quite a number of light switches, and 220v led downlighters with built in electronics . Are contstucted of plastic , and have no earthing points. Do we simply run the earth point to the junction box and terminate ,or connect to the wall box if metal.

2 I have to make provision for two eco ovens that have been purchased, they have a max rating of 2.5kw each
    And are already wired for connection to standard 3 pin plug for connection to 15 amp. How would you suggest this gets wired and would you use a circuit breaker for each oven

3 What would be the recommended number of 15 amp socket outlets per circuit breaker .

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I would connect to the wall box if metal - You still need the earth to be at the point of consumption for in case the switch is ever changed to a metal plate.

A 2,5KW oven will draw 10 Amps and 2 ovens on the same circuit may exceed your C/Breaker size - It would be advisable to have 2 circuits - It is a borderline case

There is no recommendation for the number of socket outlets on a circuit and it all depends on the installation and usage.

SANS 10142 6.15.2.2 - The anticipated load of a circuit that feeds socket outlets shall not exceed 5 KW .

3. Thanks given for this post:

Lmstrade (04-Sep-18)

Thanks
    Thanks for advice GCE

Two further questions if I may .

1. When connecting a cable run to a group of led downlights in a room the connectors on the LED are not big enough to loop in two cables (1.5mm TWE ) .
    a. Solution : a Junction box to loop in the TWE at every LED downlight ,then a smaller gauge more flexible wire pigtail to the light ( 350mm of Cabtyre , or other ??? )
    b. any other ideas or solutions ????

2. For the ovens , running two 20 Amp C/ Breakers , to a single 15amp 3 pin dual outlet at rear of OVENs each socket individually wired with its own 2.5mm TWE cable to the respective C/breakers
    Have you any thoughts on wiring the Oven isolator switch, that wouldnt require a whole bundle of wires running up and down conduit..

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Down lighters - We run the wiring to 5 Amp socket outlets in the ceiling space from the light switch - Install a 5 amp cord set on the down lighter and plug in.

With the ovens I would stick to what you are doing - Saying that , have you tried running the ovens and seeing what load they draw - Are there different function and will both ovens draw maximum load at the same time. You might get away with one circuit. It appears a borderline case