Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of PioLED lighting lamps

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Beware of PioLED lighting lamps

I purchased a box of 5 ft LED lamps...Wired the fittings to suit and tested...works.

So whats the problem...i start installing and connecting the light fittings and get my assistant to install the lamps...switch on and BOOOOM big bang.

It turns out that you cannot install PioLED lamps in the opposite way...the catch is this company is selling this product directly to the public...who might not be aware of this issue...nor can i find any certification...indicating that they are certified anywhere else in the world.

Checked a few PioLED light fittings for some for approval anywhere in the world...nothing...not even a country of origin...where they are manufactured etc...nothing.

I stripped a fitting thinking i might find a stamp of sorts somewhere on the fitting.

So the question...

do these light fittings not need some form of approval to be sold in SA?

Can you modify a fitting to suit these 230 volt LED lamps...which would change the integrity of the wiring...removing any form of certification for the fitting?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

Besides the normal SANS 10142 instructing us to use SABS certified equipment only there are also Approved Recommended Practice ( ARP ) notes publish by SABS.

There is an ARP 032:2014 publish in connection with retrofits of fluorescent fittings to LED tubes -

We read the ARP and decided that the risks to carry out retrofits are to high vs the reward.

The minute you change the wiring/design of a fitting you need to carry out an approval/verification process and ensure that the fitting would pass an end of line test complying with SANS 60598-1

In short - You are allowed to rewire the fitting but you become the certification for the fitting , installation procedure , lighting designer ensuring that the modified fittings match the original lighting design for glare and lux levels

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi Ians

Besides the normal SANS 10142 instructing us to use SABS certified equipment only there are also Approved Recommended Practice ( ARP ) notes publish by SABS.

There is an ARP 032:2014 publish in connection with retrofits of fluorescent fittings to LED tubes -

We read the ARP and decided that the risks to carry out retrofits are to high vs the reward.

The minute you change the wiring/design of a fitting you need to carry out an approval/verification process and ensure that the fitting would pass an end of line test complying with SANS 60598-1

In short - You are allowed to rewire the fitting but you become the certification for the fitting , installation procedure , lighting designer ensuring that the modified fittings match the original lighting design for glare and lux levels
    Very interesting.
    Once you rewire the fitting it is no longer SABS certified and the installation no longer complies with the SANS 10142-1.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My concern is more for the man on the street...we as qualified electricians are aware of the dangers...and even we have blown a few of these Pioled lamps to pieces.

A few things to note.

A customer unaware of the modification...purchases a 230 volt led lamp...and tries to fit it into a "modified" fitting...however as some people are doing...wiring both ends 230 volts...if you fit a Pioled lamps there is going to be a big bang...if the lamp explodes in your hand...you gona end up with injuries to your face...could even damage your eyes...being so close to the lamp while installing it...you could cut hand...and we all know what happens when you that glass from these lamps break.

An electrical company purchases a box of 230 lamps...and lets the semi skilled people replace the lamps...unaware that some of the lamps could be normal fittings with starters and ballasts...others could be 230 volt wired both sides.

and many other dangers.

My question is where is the policing...are we waiting for someone to get injured or killed before some form of standard is introduced.

It seems buying from the China mall or the reputable electrical wholesaler is the same thing...all just out to make a quick buck...regardless of the public danger.

I have contacted my electrical wholesaler and requested the required documents to add to my COC.

http://www.pioledlighting.co.za/

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Pioled do have a 2 year warranty on their products...returning faulty products is another entire thread on its own. ..make sure you have the correct documentation and the date of purchase stamped on the product...it seems a common problem is products has a date of manufacture...not a date of purchase...the 2 year warranty is valid from the date of manufacture...it could be in transit...customs...and on the shelf you a lot longer than expected...as i have experienced.

My biggest concern is the latest issue with a faulty fitting...if this fitting had burnt the office block down would the insurance pay out...if the fitting is not SABS approved or been modified.

if i were in the insurance industry...risk management or a building manager responsible for tenants in the building...i would be checking products being installed...considering there is no policing of the sale of these products.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    ..make sure you have ... the date of purchase stamped on the product...
    Say what?
    Who is supposed to do that?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Say what?
    Who is supposed to do that?
    I do it with all equipment i install...The date of manufacture doesnt help when it takes a year plus for the product to get to the consumer...and the product has a 2 year warranty.

I received the certification the light fittings...it is to certify that Pioled fittings have been tested and approved in China...i assume they dont need one for SA...as they see our SABS regulations as a joke like everyone else...the question is who is going to police it...so why bother.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    As someone pointed out to me today...why bother with SABS approval or an RCC number...light fittings do not form part of a COC...so why waste the time worrying about it...its not my problem...even though i supply and fit the fitting.

The only people who should be worried about it...insurance companies...or should they...a good excuse to deny a claim...so at the end of the day... once again...the only sucker is...yip you guessed it...the owner/customer.

Thanks
    Retrofitted LED T8 tubes are a problem because there's 2 types availible. One type requires a live and neutral on the same end, the opposite end is a short circuit. The other type requires a live on one end and a neutral at the other of the tube and the pins on both ends are a short circuit.

If wired correctly both types are reversible without a problem but when the fitting is wired for one of the types you can't replace the tube with the other type without introducing a fault.
    Last edited by AndyD; 01-Aug-18 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    The standard fluroscent wiring looks like this;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard Flouroscent Wiring.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	7179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast