Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware of PioLED lighting lamps

Thanks
    The first type of LED retrofit tube requires that the ballast is bypassed/removed and a 1 Amp fuse is installed in place of the starter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuse.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	7180

The final conversion would be wired like this;

Name:	LED Tube Type 1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	7181

Thanks
    The second type of LED tube requires a live and neutral on opposite ends so the converted wiring would look like this;

Name:	LED Tube Type 2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7183

Thanks
    In both of the LED wiring schemes above the tube is reversible without a problem but if the tube is replaced at a later date with one that's the other type there could be problems.

All retrofitted T8 fittings should have a warning sticker and a circuit diagram inside them after they've been converted.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had another mishad last week ...installed the Pioled 5 ft lamp lamp the wrong way again ... "BOOM" ...so what is the big deal ... i am a master electrician and i get it wrong ... how on earth is the customer with no electrical knwoledge expected to know that one side of the 5 ft lamp has a dead short.

Another issue with LED tube type fittings ... I am yet to come across a fitting with the lampholders labelled AC live side ... the tube might has it marked but if you dont know which side has the live and neutral ... the way i see it whoever authourised the cerification for these products to be sold in SA should be held responsible for the injury or damage to the infrasture.

Somebody need sto take this to the correct auhourities before someone is injured or killed.

DONT SAY YOU HAVENT BEEN WARNED.

With regards to the purchase date ... beware ...some product are dated 2019 and sold in 2020 (yip its already the middle of the year ... imagine trying to return a faulty product without the invoice) I know i tried ... i was told by Pioled to go bother someone else with my issues ... over a silly R200 light fitting ... it was a bad idea.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some good news ... when purchasing Pioled lamps you get a strip of stickers in the box... which can be attached to the side of the fitting which has the terminals connected to 230 VAC.

This should be another annexure to the regs ... like solar etc ... there should be clear indication/labelling on the fitting with regards to the wiring configuration and the type on lamp to be used.

It is easy to say just cheack the lamp and replace it with the same lamp ... in practise not so easy and very dnagerous.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    The second type of LED tube requires a live and neutral on opposite ends so the converted wiring would look like this;

Name:	LED Tube Type 2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7183
    Didn't think those ones were "legal". In that you put the pins in the live end and you are able to touck the pins the other end and

I have been using Osram Substitube. Not a single one fail in over 2000 (+/-).

You can either install straight into a magnetic type control gear fitting or you adapt the electronic type.

Again if you adapt the electronic type and put them the wrong way around they do pop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12