Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTE DATA

Bronze Member
    Thanks

LTE DATA

Hi all

I have a data package through Web Africa (Rain) for 110gigs per month. Our family is not heavy data users and on a busy month we may use 60 gigs.

In May all our data got finished by the middle of May and we did nothing unusual, in fact we believe we used less. So we bought an extra 20 gigs and within a day or 2 that was gone, so needed to top up again.

In June we have been monitoring data usage daily and the data consumption is too high. We downloaded data monitoring software on both laptops and that shows we not using what we appear to be loosing daily. Yes we have cellphones connected with auto updates disabled.

We have logged this with Web Africa and I must say the support is very frustrating.

We have asked for the query to be escalated but the same chap is answering our mails.

We have even changed the password on the router to an even more complex one just in case someone is hacking into our data.

Please guys if you have experienced this before or can offer some advice on what to look for it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kavesh

Thanks
    Change the router password , and also make sure WPS is switched off on the router

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wernerdp View Post
    Change the router password , and also make sure WPS is switched off on the router
    Yes password was changed.

When you say WPS are you referring to the WPS setting where WPS is either enable or disable. My setting is currently set as enable. We have not made any changes to this ever since we went onto rain. So I am not sure what this was set to before. If it was previously disabled what would make it enabled on its own?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No chance someone else is using bandwidth on another device logged in on your ISP account credentials?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    switch off all devices wifi for a day and monitor usage. Then switch on wifi to one device at a time for 24 hours each and see if one of them is using the data.

Process of elimination.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    No chance someone else is using bandwidth on another device logged in on your ISP account credentials?
    Unless someone hacked in, which is why we changed the password to an even more complex one.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmithS View Post
    switch off all devices wifi for a day and monitor usage. Then switch on wifi to one device at a time for 24 hours each and see if one of them is using the data.

Process of elimination.
    I wish I could do that. We use it for work so cannot have it switched off. I always switch off the router when we not home and even at night.

I am still leaning to an issue on the service providers side. Now to get the consultant to escalate the issue...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not sure but with Voxpro, they have a web page in which you can log in, entering your addres, you see the data usage on a 24 hour graph for the last month or two, showing you the time the peak data was used. I'am sure Web Africa has this facility as well, and maybe you just need to ask.

I had a problem with *****, in which the first day of the month, my data was exhausted, and the sim card was not even in the modem. Once the contract expired, I cancelled that service.
    Calling gave the same usual nonsense about updates and so on.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Not sure but with Voxpro, they have a web page in which you can log in, entering your addres, you see the data usage on a 24 hour graph for the last month or two, showing you the time the peak data was used. I'am sure Web Africa has this facility as well, and maybe you just need to ask.

I had a problem with *****, in which the first day of the month, my data was exhausted, and the sim card was not even in the modem. Once the contract expired, I cancelled that service.
    Calling gave the same usual nonsense about updates and so on.
    Thanks will look into this. So very frustrating.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Kavesh, Did you come right with you data usage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast