Thread: Dealing with Clients that dont pay...

Email problem
    Thanks

Dealing with Clients that dont pay...

Hey Guys .

Ive been googleing around on this topic for a bit, dealing with clients that dont pay and most articles describe a step by step process of emailing phoning and so forth.

I have not found this helpful i deal in websites and graphic design so unpaid web designs i can usually pull from a server however a graphic design element thats been used i cant get back.

I get frustrated as these are low cost services to some of the people i work with, and i think gosh you cant even fisish up a R800 payment yet you are going on holiday retreats and all of that.

I do include cluases in my contract, but from what i see they might as well not be there. The law also protects people like this and for me to take things further as im dealing with such small amounts up to r3000 at most, I sometimes wonder if i hold on a week more maybe theyl pay and we can continue on good foot.

Do you guys employ any tricks .... that help with this kind of issue? I could ask for payment upfront but as a graphic and web designer that would be taboo. I also dont want to behave negativily to other cliets because of a few that havent paid.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Get a deposit up front to cover your costs, and final payment before release. No deposit no work started. All demonstrations must be done in opaque mode or with letters across the stating "Demonstration".
    You must start firing your customers!
    At some point in your life you will learn to forget what other people think, at the end of the day they don't pay your bills.

Once you have released the artwork, there is no reason for the client to pay, his got what he wants.
    The "Demonstration" is only removed after final payment.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    I get this and i do ask a deposit. There is already such a negative connotation on graphic designers in general i and i just want good relationships, i am obviously living in a dream world. Whats ironic is that it is my bigger clients that will give issues paying, my smaller ones are usually on time all the time.

Another thing is East London is a small town and some of these people are big influencers if they say i have a bad attitude ( because i watermark my work ) then thats going to stick in the business community.
    I had an idea to sort of eCommerce my services, im not sure if people would see that as convenient or put them of. I have always sort of held the idea that for web or graphic design set prices are bs because of the dynamic nature involved in producing these things, sometimes something difficult comes quick and easy other times easy things take alot of time, And personally to myself i value time above all else.

I try never to get nasty but the general excuse is " they are waiting for somebody to pay them "... Thats not really my problem, like you say i have to put food on the table. Whats the point of playing nice if you arent going to get your payments for your time.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately only you can make the call.

However a reputation of good service delivered on time, but you have to pay up front, is not an issue. It shows integrity and that you deliver more than the part of "paying up front".
    It also sets a precedent. If they do business with you, and they want the job done, they know that have to have the money in order to do it.

This thing of let him do the job, and if we have some spare cash, then we will pay him is a load of BS. If they do not have the money, and require the service, then they should negotiate a way where both parties can get what they want, not use the story that we are waiting for some one to pay us so that we can pay you. That already tells me that there is no business integrity with this company, and that they may be on shaky financial footing, which means you may never see payment.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

5. Thanks given for this post:

New Perspective studio (29-May-18)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Oh no he was straight up lying to me, this guy was in Germany last week , all over his instagram feed and even went and watched the formula one he has been touring europe for a week now.

I have consequently pulled his website leaving a blank page asking to contact the owner as the website is suspended. I would like to say he didnt pay but i dont think that would be a wise move on my part.

I think you are right, i do my job and i get it done on time and always with a bit extra for the client, if i cant trust my own service to ask for upfront payment how should a client do that.

Thanks
    This problem is faced by lots of business owners these days. As a service provider, once you provide the service that has been asked to complete, the client does not pay the charge or even does not bother to contact. For just a security purpose in future, it is better you take deposit money before you are starting to do the work. After the work is done, show the demonstration to the client and ask for the final payment. When you get your final payment, you will then only send the final project or work. For your existing clients who have not paid the money, you can take help from an attorney and sent a notice.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by claassenattorney View Post
    For your existing clients who have not paid the money, you can take help from an attorney and sent a notice.
    Depends on how much money is outstanding, as the cost of the attorney may be too high to send the letter out.