Thread: Earth leakage unit not solving earthing issue?

Thanks

Earth leakage unit not solving earthing issue?

I just moved into a new house. I have all LED lights, but 5 have blown in 4 months. They have a warranty of a year. I've also had the power board of my TV fail. I thought spikes and dips, but current is supposed to be stable in the Fish Hoek valley in Cape Town. General opinion is I don't need a voltage regulator/stabiliser. There aren't any shorts, all the trip switches are working and the earth leakage unit is working (tested last weekend). Could there still be an earth problem.

Thanks
    Have you just purchased the house? Has it been tested recently for a Certificate of Compliance?

I'm also in the Southern Peninsula area and there's no history of grid power issues around here. I'd suggest you get a reputable electrician to test and inspect the installation, the symptoms you describe could be caused by any number of faults so let an electrician rule out all the obvious possibilities. Fitting a voltage stabiliser would just be treating the symptoms of what could be a serious underlying problem.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings

Your earth would need to be tested to ensure continuity and suitable resistance. To me most likely a loose connection in your neutral.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Have you just purchased the house? Has it been tested recently for a Certificate of Compliance?

I'm also in the Southern Peninsula area and there's no history of grid power issues around here. I'd suggest you get a reputable electrician to test and inspect the installation, the symptoms you describe could be caused by any number of faults so let an electrician rule out all the obvious possibilities. Fitting a voltage stabiliser would just be treating the symptoms of what could be a serious underlying problem.
    Hi Andy. It was just built. The electrician is registered, but has not yet given us the Certificate of Compliance. All the bulbs seem to fail from the same light fitting, but they don't do so immediately.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Greetings

Your earth would need to be tested to ensure continuity and suitable resistance. To me most likely a loose connection in your neutral.
    Hi Sean. Is there a quick way for testing this?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Sforsyth

To come up with an educated guess on the reason behind the failure with the information provided will be total guess work
    I strongly agree with the neutral statement - if every there is a fault where no explanation can be found it is often a neutral - But before suggesting that to your contractor.

You mention that it is from the same fitting - Are there other fittings on the same light switch ? What lamps are in the fitting ? and if there is another fitting on the same switch are they the same lamps ? Is the fitting on a light switch with LED indication ? Is the fitting on a dimmer ? How long do the lamps survive

You also mention 5 lamps in 4 months - What is the total number of lamps installed - If the 4 is a small percentage there could just be an initial failure rate of lamps.The make of lamp is also directly proportional to the failure rate of the lamp- There is a load of inferior LED lamps on the market

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Morning

The continuity and resistance of your earth continuity conductor is part of your Coc. This is quick to test (size if installation dependant)

Loose neutral can be established using various methods I find that using an infrared or temperature meter (for hot spots) and is the quickest.

Regards