Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 year old laptop

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmithS View Post
    What other software are you using on the laptop e.g. office or graphic design software?
    Office 365 only

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    You could try uninstalling the wifi module drivers and allowing windows to find the most suitable driver to reinstall. It does come with risks thou. You will need an internet connection on the laptop - through a phone or 3G dongle to allow windows to find the latest driver. If windows cannot find the driver you will have to search the net manually and do a manual install of the driver...

Thanks AmithS, will have to hunt for the correct driver as I did do the above without success. Windows did not find the driver and install

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    This evening I have been online with Asus support who tried to assist. They suggested everything that you guys suggested and off course nothing worked.

Eventually they said that its most likely an internal problem, suggesting that the wifi card may be the problem. The easy solution would be to get a USB adapter but I really would rather get the wifi to work on the laptop.

Are the wifi cards universal or are they very specific to the actual brand or model. I am keep to have a go at opening up the bottom of the laptop and replace the card if the cost is reasonable and not brand specific which would make it expensive.

Anyone have experience with this before?

Thanks
    They are universal 90% of them , a new good one ( with WIFI and Bluetooth ) will be around R1000 , but you can take one from a broken laptop and use it .
    Have the laptop been open before , maybe check if the aerials are connected on the WIFI card .

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wernerdp View Post
    They are universal 90% of them , a new good one ( with WIFI and Bluetooth ) will be around R1000 , but you can take one from a broken laptop and use it .
    Have the laptop been open before , maybe check if the aerials are connected on the WIFI card .
    My wife has had the laptop since new and it has never had any issues except for the wifi issues which we worked around with a usb until she broke it when putting into a bag.

I like the idea of an old broken laptop card. Need to find a kind IT guy .that will br willing to part with it.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Check gumtree or OLX and maybe even post an advert of what you looking for with a picture of your actual wifi card. Sure you will come right with a bargain

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Check gumtree or OLX and maybe even post an advert of what you looking for with a picture of your actual wifi card. Sure you will come right with a bargain
    Thanks will do.

Thanks
    You have to remove unnecessary software from a laptop for a proper functioning. Also, check Wifi connectivity by setting allocated IP.

Email problem
    Thanks
    What other software are you using on the laptop e.g. office or graphic design software?
    This here, I still have a i5 that beat new asus that came from a store until i mercilessly tweaked it to get all the bloatware off that effected everything from its wifi usage to the actual speed of the computer.

Another thing with windows ten constant updates you are getting a bigger more sophisticated version of your operating system ( also be sure to check if it stores the old windows version after its updated a new one ) each time, however your hardware remains the same, at some point the os itself will be start to slow your computer.

But yeah could also be a simple as a wifi card, given however that you are experiencing multiple problem across the os i dont think it something that is so limited in its effects around other peripherals.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I managed to find another wifi card albeit an old second hand one that I picked up for R100. At least it resolved wifi connectivity. I thinkthe older wifi cards were also a lot slower than the newer cards, which I am noticing. Maybe I will get lucky and find a wifi card from a relatively new laptop. Incidentally these wifi cards can pose compatibility issues. I had tried another wifi card and it was virtually impossible to connect, with the current card connecting was easy once windows booted up. Can't remember what laptop the card was from though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast