Thread: I can't close my laptop lid, help?

Thanks

I can't close my laptop lid, help?

Sorry if this isn't in the appropriate category, but I'm panicking because my laptop screen wouldn't close. I assume the hinge broke or something. If I tried to close the lid there's a lot of cracking/clicking sounds and the rear cover (behind the screen) starts to snap open. The screen looks a little misaligned. The left side is okay so I was comparing the two hinges, there's definitely something wrong there.

It's a Lenovo thinkpad E520. The manual doesn't give me much help...

I'm panicking, because this is my only device, and currently there's absolutely no way I can get replacements (they don't stock laptop parts here). I'm going to have to leave the screen open until I can find some help...

Thanks
    Lenovo is famous for broken hinges , they connect the metal hinges on plastic , it is not the hinges itself that is broken , but the casing where the screws connect , only solution is new cover , or find a second hand one .

You can try and glue them , but that never last as there is a lot of strain on them

3. Thanks given for this post:

arabianmaiden (24-Apr-18)

Thanks
    Thanks for responding At least I'm not the first to get this problem... Just a quick question, when I tried looking for what's causing the problem I see that the rear cover has snapped open and it's left a bit ajar. Something is blocking it from snapping closed again. And when I tried prying it more open to see if I can do something about it, seems like there's a little tube connecting the rear cover to the back of the LCD screen... I don't want to make things worse. If I did manage to get a new part (hinge or cover) How would I get to the problem, should I start by unscrewing the front-side of the screen instead?

There are videos on YouTube showing how to disassemble the screen and replace it, but I can't find any tutorials on how to detach the rear side. Maybe it's not supposed to be done...?