Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New sockets - sans 164-2

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    Maybe we should give the contractor the benefit of doubt and being a contract that size , - is it not possible that the contract was signed before March 2017 ?
    If so then he would be allowed to stick to the "old" type sockets

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi
    Maybe we should give the contractor the benefit of doubt and being a contract that size , - is it not possible that the contract was signed before March 2017 ?
    If so then he would be allowed to stick to the "old" type sockets
    No, no.... They just don't give a shit and the building was bought this year. I find it insane that someone invests 60 million plus in a building, pays a project manager in excess of R100000 and all you services just get literally thrown in so they can make an opening date. The existing wiring was a joke - but it got a C.O.C. So now they are just adding to the shit stuff. 600 additional light points added in 6 days. The guys who got the job for the lights did it for a third of the other 2 quotes. I cannot believe that was done to standard - but its got a COC.

People just want stuff to "work". If they want one saddle to hold up 3 meters if conduit that is what they will now be given. If its OK that the sockets are not level then that is what they will be given. As long as it's safe I can live with that.

Thanks
    Has anyone seen any appliances or extension cords using this new plug? I was at Makro the other day to buy some stuff in the electrical section and just noticed that nothing on their shelf uses the new plug yet. Same with other big suppliers.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We did a complex type set up and the domestic type stove extraction fans came with the euro plug top - Was during last year
    Must admit that I spoke to an appliance supply in town and he stated that they are still being forced to supply equipment with the old type 16 amp socket.Was also last year around October.

Normally story of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing within the various departments

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am yet to install a new type plug...there are bigger problem in this industry than new plugs being installed.

Go buy a makita machine...then ask yourself how it is even legal to sell the machine with that type of plug...if it is not legal to install that type of socket....i bought a new bosch sander and noticed it had a 2 pin flat plug top.

i was called in to test and issue COC's for a new building (as a second opinion)...3 days of testing only 2 DB's got fully tested...on the 4th day i noticed another person carrying out tests and apparently issuing the COC's for DB's in my opion were not ready for testing...i was showing the "electricians" on site how to wire up 2 way switches and i was expected to sign off the work these "electricians" were doing.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You are happy to ignore/ work against the rules in your first sentence , because you feel that the rule is stupid , but are then flabbergasted that another electrician has chosen the DB rule to ignore

Problem in this country at the moment is that we think the rules are there to pick and chose to suit us - And then complain because the taxi industry chose the red robot rule to ignore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverNodashi View Post
    Has anyone seen any appliances or extension cords using this new plug? I was at Makro the other day to buy some stuff in the electrical section and just noticed that nothing on their shelf uses the new plug yet. Same with other big suppliers.
    Noticed an advert from Voltex for multiplug adapters with new socket

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voltex.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	7463

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    You are happy to ignore/ work against the rules in your first sentence , because you feel that the rule is stupid , but are then flabbergasted that another electrician has chosen the DB rule to ignore

Problem in this country at the moment is that we think the rules are there to pick and chose to suit us - And then complain because the taxi industry chose the red robot rule to ignore.
    My point is that if you gona make rules, make sure that everything complies.

i dont complain about the 6 second red robot taxi rule...i make sure i watch out for it when i get to the robot.

Unfortunately this is Africa, you are not allowed to walk on a freeway yet they have taxis stops on the N2 at kwamashu. Special rule for special people

Studio No. 214-215A Plot No. 7, IHDP Business Park Sector 127, Noida (UP)- 201301
    Thanks

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon India View Post
    Bosch had a sander with that type of plug top...the rest are all the illegal shuko plug...maybe someone makes a double adaptor from a new plug to shuko with a sans stamp of approval

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast