Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: New sockets - sans 164-2

  1. #11
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,508
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 861 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    And builders warehouse/makro/mica. Still all selling old style.
    Maybe these for the low budget customer?
    https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?A7403
    Any idea why they only rate it as 10A?

    **edit** or these; https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?B7403

    or these https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product...idual?SP7403-W

    If the customer has a taste for higher end accessories go speak to Dave at DM Agencies for LeGrand, I was there the other day and they definately have stock.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  2. #12
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Maybe these for the low budget customer?
    https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?A7403
    Any idea why they only rate it as 10A?

    **edit** or these; https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?B7403

    or these https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product...idual?SP7403-W
    Thanks Andy. I have gone for Onesto. Middle of the road.

    Not sure what ACDC is like in your area but by me there are not enough hours in the day to stand and wait whilst they sign you in at the gate, wait to be served, they pick, security clear, unpack everything, check, sign out and even then most of the time at least one thing I buy from ACDC will crap out and then spend an hour or 2 trying to get something with an obviously fault - changed or they offer to "repair"

    Power skirting I'm just going to meet the customer in the middle.

    I'm surprised this isn't more public awareness on this - no adverts in builders warehouse, wholesalers etc. Clients don't want to go for new style because they have no idea its been phased out.

    Even companies we work for who supply appliances are in the dark (not literally).

    I just see this as one of those things where I will quoting on jobs with the new and old style and the guys I'm quoting against will just be using old (cheaper) style.

    With Onesto the price difference is about R60. Do that over a domestic with, say, 20 sockets you are already R1200 more expensive than the other guy.

    I think it will take a few months (or until wholesalers get rid of old stock) before them push the new style.

  3. #13
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Hi

    We have not had a problem in getting stock of the "new" socket outlets from the preferred specified manufacturers .Pulled a cost report and see we have purchased 287 - 4x4 units and 153 for power skirt in the past 5 months
    The price is around 50% higher then the old double socket but have noticed a 25% decrease in price during this year so far.
    As the qty's increase and the manufacturers have more stock the pricing should hopefully settle back down to normal.

    We have noticed that the standard type extractor hoods coming out for domestic have the new euro plug top which means you can just install a single euro 4x2 above the hood.Still need to stop past an appliance outlet and see what is coming out on the fridges etc.

  4. #14
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,508
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 861 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    .....Not sure what ACDC is like in your area but by me there are not enough hours in the day to stand and wait whilst they sign you in at the gate, wait to be served, they pick, security clear, unpack everything, check, sign out and even then most of the time at least one thing I buy from ACDC will crap out and then spend an hour or 2 trying to get something with an obviously fault - changed or they offer to "repair"
    Yeah they can be hard work.

    Just out of interest I was in Builders Warehouse (Tokai) this afternoon and they've got a pretty full range of LeGrand in there.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  5. #15
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Le Grand is French for 'expensive'. And if it isn't it should be. I like le Grand. Nice to work with but it comes at a price.

  6. #16
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,508
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 861 Times in 694 Posts
    Lol, I like LeGrand, it's like a throwback to the 80's when we had to manually wire the sockets and switches together at the back before the advent of the monoblock type sockets. As you say though they're not cheap.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi

    To me one of the most significant regulations that has been brought in is the inclusion of a Euro socket ( SANS 164-2 ) at every socket outlet point.
    It appears that this regulation is being misread with some strange interpretations.

    SANS 10142-1 ED 2 - pg 177 - 6.15.1.1.1 c - effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2.Socket-outlets points may also include socket-outlets complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-1.

    The above regulation does not have any comma's or full stops between socket outlet points and new electrical installations. It also starts with socket outlet points and then refers to at least one socket outlet
    It therefore reads that every socket outlet point shall have a euro

    If we have a look at the definition of Installation work in the OHSA , which is what gives SANS 10142 teeth , it defines it as - the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation.

    The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the above was from GCE.

  9. #19
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serial5228 View Post
    Hi

    To me one of the most significant regulations that has been brought in is the inclusion of a Euro socket ( SANS 164-2 ) at every socket outlet point.
    It appears that this regulation is being misread with some strange interpretations.

    SANS 10142-1 ED 2 - pg 177 - 6.15.1.1.1 c - effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2.Socket-outlets points may also include socket-outlets complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-1.

    The above regulation does not have any comma's or full stops between socket outlet points and new electrical installations. It also starts with socket outlet points and then refers to at least one socket outlet
    It therefore reads that every socket outlet point shall have a euro

    If we have a look at the definition of Installation work in the OHSA , which is what gives SANS 10142 teeth , it defines it as - the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation.

    The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.
    Agreed.

    I have been using the 4 x 4 with one 'normal socket' and one 'new style' so but we are missing out in jobs, especially power skirting installs. We quote to put and old style with a new style next to it. The other guy quotes to just put the old style. The customer is not fussed as everything they have plugs into the old style socket. The other guys quote is cheaper by about R80 - R100 per 'old style' point (as I'm putting a new style next to each old style). A small office install with, say, 10 sockets means I am R1000 more expensive already before any mark up or additional labour charges for the extra points.

    Naturally, the other guy will give them a C.O.C..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Normal sockets on the floor?
    By skatingsparks in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Mar-18, 11:23 AM
  2. SA to get new electrical sockets, plugs
    By adrianh in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-Mar-17, 04:52 AM
  3. Unswitch sockets ok?
    By skatingsparks in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-Nov-16, 12:34 PM
  4. crabtree plug sockets
    By murdock in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Aug-12, 10:10 PM
  5. atx sockets
    By bergie in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Apr-12, 12:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •