Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New sockets - sans 164-2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    And builders warehouse/makro/mica. Still all selling old style.
    Maybe these for the low budget customer?
    https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?A7403
    Any idea why they only rate it as 10A?

**edit** or these; https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?B7403

or these https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product...idual?SP7403-W

If the customer has a taste for higher end accessories go speak to Dave at DM Agencies for LeGrand, I was there the other day and they definately have stock.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Maybe these for the low budget customer?
    https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?A7403
    Any idea why they only rate it as 10A?

**edit** or these; https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?B7403

or these https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product...idual?SP7403-W
    Thanks Andy. I have gone for Onesto. Middle of the road.

Not sure what ACDC is like in your area but by me there are not enough hours in the day to stand and wait whilst they sign you in at the gate, wait to be served, they pick, security clear, unpack everything, check, sign out and even then most of the time at least one thing I buy from ACDC will crap out and then spend an hour or 2 trying to get something with an obviously fault - changed or they offer to "repair"

Power skirting I'm just going to meet the customer in the middle.

I'm surprised this isn't more public awareness on this - no adverts in builders warehouse, wholesalers etc. Clients don't want to go for new style because they have no idea its been phased out.

Even companies we work for who supply appliances are in the dark (not literally).

I just see this as one of those things where I will quoting on jobs with the new and old style and the guys I'm quoting against will just be using old (cheaper) style.

With Onesto the price difference is about R60. Do that over a domestic with, say, 20 sockets you are already R1200 more expensive than the other guy.

I think it will take a few months (or until wholesalers get rid of old stock) before them push the new style.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

We have not had a problem in getting stock of the "new" socket outlets from the preferred specified manufacturers .Pulled a cost report and see we have purchased 287 - 4x4 units and 153 for power skirt in the past 5 months
    The price is around 50% higher then the old double socket but have noticed a 25% decrease in price during this year so far.
    As the qty's increase and the manufacturers have more stock the pricing should hopefully settle back down to normal.

We have noticed that the standard type extractor hoods coming out for domestic have the new euro plug top which means you can just install a single euro 4x2 above the hood.Still need to stop past an appliance outlet and see what is coming out on the fridges etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    .....Not sure what ACDC is like in your area but by me there are not enough hours in the day to stand and wait whilst they sign you in at the gate, wait to be served, they pick, security clear, unpack everything, check, sign out and even then most of the time at least one thing I buy from ACDC will crap out and then spend an hour or 2 trying to get something with an obviously fault - changed or they offer to "repair"
    Yeah they can be hard work.

Just out of interest I was in Builders Warehouse (Tokai) this afternoon and they've got a pretty full range of LeGrand in there.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Le Grand is French for 'expensive'. And if it isn't it should be. I like le Grand. Nice to work with but it comes at a price.

Thanks
    Lol, I like LeGrand, it's like a throwback to the 80's when we had to manually wire the sockets and switches together at the back before the advent of the monoblock type sockets. As you say though they're not cheap.

Thanks
    Hi

To me one of the most significant regulations that has been brought in is the inclusion of a Euro socket ( SANS 164-2 ) at every socket outlet point.
    It appears that this regulation is being misread with some strange interpretations.

SANS 10142-1 ED 2 - pg 177 - 6.15.1.1.1 c - effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2.Socket-outlets points may also include socket-outlets complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-1.

The above regulation does not have any comma's or full stops between socket outlet points and new electrical installations. It also starts with socket outlet points and then refers to at least one socket outlet
    It therefore reads that every socket outlet point shall have a euro

If we have a look at the definition of Installation work in the OHSA , which is what gives SANS 10142 teeth , it defines it as - the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation.

The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.

Thanks
    the above was from GCE.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by serial5228 View Post
    Hi

To me one of the most significant regulations that has been brought in is the inclusion of a Euro socket ( SANS 164-2 ) at every socket outlet point.
    It appears that this regulation is being misread with some strange interpretations.

SANS 10142-1 ED 2 - pg 177 - 6.15.1.1.1 c - effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2.Socket-outlets points may also include socket-outlets complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-1.

The above regulation does not have any comma's or full stops between socket outlet points and new electrical installations. It also starts with socket outlet points and then refers to at least one socket outlet
    It therefore reads that every socket outlet point shall have a euro

If we have a look at the definition of Installation work in the OHSA , which is what gives SANS 10142 teeth , it defines it as - the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation.

The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.
    Agreed.

I have been using the 4 x 4 with one 'normal socket' and one 'new style' so but we are missing out in jobs, especially power skirting installs. We quote to put and old style with a new style next to it. The other guy quotes to just put the old style. The customer is not fussed as everything they have plugs into the old style socket. The other guys quote is cheaper by about R80 - R100 per 'old style' point (as I'm putting a new style next to each old style). A small office install with, say, 10 sockets means I am R1000 more expensive already before any mark up or additional labour charges for the extra points.

Naturally, the other guy will give them a C.O.C..

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Looking at a Rewire of existing building (60 million plus) - number of new type sockets used - zero

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast