Thread: Ants Problems

Thanks

Question Ants Problems

Help does anyone have remedy to get rid of ants, I am sure that the stuff I give them acts as steroids

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If they are in your house, and you have pets, they are very difficult to get rid off. There seems to have been an epidemic in the south of Johannesburg of ant infestations.

For outside, I got one of the pest control companies to spray ant poison all around the house, and this seems to have curbed the amount of ants, however in the house with pets, myself included, I was not comfortable having this poison sprayed around the house. I was also a little concerned to use this powdered ant poison one can buy, as this can be thrown up into the air via a vacuum cleaner or general walking, sweeping, etc.

What I found that is working well, better than diluted vinegar and spraying the affected areas, is to use talcum baby powder. Simply apply around the holes from which the ants emerge, and along the path ways they walk, it is a natural ant repelant. What I think happens, is that the fine powder gets attracted to the bodies, and they take the powder into the nest. This powder absorbs any humidity that is in the nest, thereby restricting the nest from growing. It also reduces the ants ability to follow the scent they leave behind, get lost and die of starvation.

What I also found is that over time I have found other crawling insects dead near the talcum powder, and my take on this is that it may be attracted onto the insect abdomin, and prevent them from breathing.

Anyway this has curbed tyhe amount of ants I have in my house. Unfortunately it does not look pretty, this white powder over my skirting and along the joint of the floor and skirting.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frikkiemieny View Post
    I am sure that the stuff I give them acts as steroids
    What are you giving them?

Thanks
    I use nip it and it works for months. But you have to check the ants favourite spots monthly and reapply every few months.
    http://www.proteksa.co.za/product/nip-it-ant-control/
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hello,

Having ants wherever outside doesn't trouble me – it's the point at which I see them trailing along the kitchen ledges that I spring enthusiastically. Consequently, the previous two spring/summer seasons we have effectively freed our place of two distinct kinds of ants and chose the time had come to demonstrate to you generally accepted methods to dispose of ants normally!

Thanks
    Ants hate baking soda. That's because baking soda and borax both kill ants when they eat them. To make a homemade ant bait trap, combine equal parts baking soda or borax with honey and water.

Thanks
    I live in Cape Town and we had a minor ant problem for the first time ever a few months ago. It was the really small type of ants and we found them in the sugar bag in the cupboard and several times there was a line of the buggers visible walking across the kitchen floor, Gawd knows where they were heading but they were definately up to no good.

First attack I made was the lazy way with a can of doom and I just sprayed around the door and any ants I saw walking. They then escalated the battle by invading my laptop which was on the diningroom table and I ended up having to completely dismantle in order to fully remove them. This unwarranted and unexpected hostility prompted me toward the Mecca of all things household AKA Takealot where I purchased a some Mortein antomatic sprayers that use a couple of AA batteries and emit a toxic mist that's probably been proven to cause California in the state of Cancer but smells like a sun drenched lemon orchard every few minutes. They were on offer at the time for less than a C note each which is the price they usually charge just for the refill cylinder of death juice that goes in them so I bought three, two of which I was going to use to exact revenge on the ants and one that I wanted to dismantle to reverse engineer and see how it works and scavenge any interesting parts like the motor and timer PCB and maybe fit a spy camera into the empty shell to see what the dog gets up to when she's alone all day.

Anyway, I digress. I set up the two death dispensers at opposite ends of the kitchen and switched them both on to their lowest setting when I went to bed. In the daytime I switched them off so I didn't get a surprise dose of agent orange in my ear as I walked past them. I repeated this proceedure everyday for 5 or 6 days and that was the last I saw of the ants and touch wood it's at least two months on now and they haven't returned. I checked the leved of death juice left in the canisters using a thermal camera and they're still over half full so I'm still well prepared if they show up for a rematch.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (06-Nov-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcspestcon View Post
    Ants hate baking soda. That's because baking soda and borax both kill ants when they eat them. To make a homemade ant bait trap, combine equal parts baking soda or borax with honey and water.
    I confess I find the sight of baking soda eating ants rather disturbing too.

Ants aren't going to have to fear borax much longer, though. Apparently borax is about to be banned in many parts of the world due to its alleged carcinogenic properties to humans.