Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAT Update Patch for users of Pastel V14, V17 and V18

Thanks

VAT Update Patch for users of Pastel V14, V17 and V18

If you are using Pastel Xpress/Partner V14, V17 or V18, you can install a build update that will automatically facilitate the changeover of the VAT rate on 1 April 2018.

The build updates can be found on http://pastelupdate.sagesouthafrica.co.za.

If you are using earlier versions of Pastel, you can follow my step-by-step instructions outlined below:

• Go to Setup…Tax…General Settings…Percentages.
    • In Row number 1, change the description from "Vat - Standard rated” to "Vat - Standard rated 14%” and change the date in the End column to 31/03/2018.
    • In Row number 11, insert the description "Vat - Standard rated 15%”, insert 15 in the Tax % column, change the Start date to 01/04/2018 and the End date to 31/12/2050.
    • In Row number 12, insert the description "14% Credit Note Mar 18”, insert 14 in the Tax % column, change the Start date to 01/04/2018 and the End date to 28/02/2019. This VAT code is to be used where credit notes need to be passed after 31 March 2018, relating to invoices processed before 1 April 2018.
    • The above steps can be done anytime between now and the end of the month.
    • The following changes can only be done after the last transaction has been processed on 31 March 2018, but before the first transaction on 1 April 2018:
      • For each customer account, go to the Processing tab and, in the Tax section, change the default tax code from 01 to 11. If there is no default tax type set up, you can ignore this step.
      • For each supplier account, go to the Processing tab and, in the Tax section, change the default tax code from 01 to 11. If there is no default tax type set up, you can ignore this step.
      • Go to Setup…Customers…Control and, in the Configuration tab, change the Default Tax Type for Financial Lines from 01 to 11.
      • Go to Setup…Suppliers…Control and, in the Configuration tab, change the Default Tax Type for Financial Lines from 01 to 11.
      • For each inventory item, go to the Details tab and, under the Allow Tax section, change the VAT code from 01 to 11 for both Purchases and Sales.
      • Go to Setup…Inventory and, under the Integration/Groups tab, change the Default Buy Tax and the Default Sell Tax from 01 to 11.

• If you have too many customer/supplier/inventory codes to make the above adjustments manually, let me know and we can set up a TeamViewer session so that I can edit the accounts directly in the database.
    • If you have any outstanding Sales Orders or Purchase Orders on 1 April 2018 with a VAT code of 01 on the line items, please note that the VAT code will need to be manually adjusted to 11 for each line item once the Order has been converted to a Tax Invoice / GRN / Supplier Invoice.
    • If you are using VAT inclusive selling prices, please note that your VAT exclusive selling price will be reduced on 1 April unless you increase the VAT inclusive price to accommodate the VAT rate increase.
    • If you have Recurring Invoice batches, you will need to change the VAT code, for each line item on each invoice, from 01 to 11, before your April 2018 invoices are created. Let me know if you require a TeamViewer session in order to make these adjustments directly in the database.
    • If you have invoices on hold carried over from March 2018, you will need to change the VAT code, for each line item on each invoice, from 01 to 11, before the invoices are finalised. Let me know if you require a TeamViewer session in order to make these adjustments directly in the database.

The first working day of April is on Tuesday 3 April, after the Easter Weekend, so I anticipate a rush of requests for me to assist with the above adjustments before you start processing April transactions, so please bear with me, as I can only deal with one client at a time. I will not be booking TeamViewer sessions in advance for 3 April, as I cannot guarantee that I will be ready at a particular time, so I will assist on a first-come-first-served basis.

In order to ease the pressure on 3 April, I will make myself available over the Easter Weekend to log on with TeamViewer to make the necessary changes. If you are willing and able to send me your TeamViewer details at the close of business on Thursday 29 March, together with your Pastel supervisor password, I will log on sometime during the course of the Easter Weekend to make the adjustments.

My usual hourly rate will apply for all remote sessions. If I have consulted for you before, please email me your company details so that I can open an account for you.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi

I've installed the update on my Version 18 Pastel Xpress, got the message about the new VAT codes and even got the message where it asks you if you want the VAT defaults to be changed.

But now I want to capture a March 2018 bank statement and I get the following message: The Tax Type VAT Standard rated is not active and cannot be used. The Tax Type will be set to 00 No Tax. Either choose a different tax type or set a new expiry date for VAT Standard Rate. To do this go to Setup... Tax and select the percentages tab. Change the end date and choose OK to save your settings.

What is the most effective way of getting rid of this message while I'm still capturing March 2018 information? What will happen when I start capturing information for April 2018? Will there be more changes I will have to make manually?

Thanks
    In the cashbook journal, open the Settings button and check if the default tax type has been changed to 15.

If it has, change it back to 01 until you finish March.

It might also be using the new default tax types for inventory or for your supplier accounts.

Thanks
    You can use the Temporary Vat Rate @ 14% to capture the Bank statement, your March invoices / process credit notes etc for March.
    The 01 tax type that used to be the standard rate 14% wont work as the expiry date was set to the end of March 2018, therefore you are receiving that error.
    If you need further clarification feel free to email me, balan.sharlene@gmail.com. Hope the info helps

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharleneBalan View Post
    You can use the Temporary Vat Rate @ 14% to capture the Bank statement, your March invoices / process credit notes etc for March.
    The 01 tax type that used to be the standard rate 14% wont work as the expiry date was set to the end of March 2018, therefore you are receiving that error.
    If you need further clarification feel free to email me, balan.sharlene@gmail.com. Hope the info helps
    This is not quite correct - the expiry date works on the date of the transaction, not on the computer date, or today's date.

So, if she processes a transaction dated March 2018 today, and the defaults have been set to 01, the system will allow it. I have just tested it.

Thanks
    I tried reinstalling the patch to see if it doesn't improve my situation. Because my Pastel does not allow the 01 if I post something in March.

I tried capturing a journal now in March 2018. My Default Tax type is 01. So technically I should be still allowed to capture, as 01 was still open up to 31 March 2018.

But I get the same message. See the attached file.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this. Posts date 1 April work fine. Just anything before 1 April that's problematic. I'll just change the date in the Tax settings for the 01 to 1 April until I'm done with my March processing. I found that to be the fastest fix.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warning message Type 01.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	7079  
    Last edited by Genesistt; 13-Apr-18 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Updated message with new info

Thanks
    Hi Neville,

(Pastel Xpress v14.2.2)
    I followed your tutorial for manually changing/creating 15% VAT tax types before I knew about the patch to v14.2.2. Thereafter, I followed the link to patch. I am now confronted with the screen "Pastel has detected that you have 15% tax types already created..."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pastel Tax Change.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	7081

I have followed their instruction to manually remove the tax types in order to have Pastel setup the defaults, however I get the error message "tax type in use. This tax type is being used in the Transaction file." when trying to manually delete tax type previously created.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tax type in use.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	7082

I don't know how to proceed from here, if you have advice?
    Many thanks!
    Craig

Thanks

VAT 15% update and split invoice

Good Day

I have situation where I have a split rental invoice dated for April 2018, part of the invoice for water & electricity is 14% VAT and the rest is 15% VAT, pastel just doesnt allow me to capture the 14% VAT, please advise as I dont know what to do.

Thanks
    Samantha

Thanks
    Hi Samantha - if you are using the way Pastel set up the new VAT you should be able to capture the 14% VAT using Tax No 14 (Temporary VAT)
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

I have pastel xpress verssion 17 Build 17.1.1 - Ive read somewhere in the forum that versions 17 have a wizard that will automatically make the necessary adjustments? I have used the manual implementation of the tax rate setup and im also getting the end date 2050 error?

Can anyone please help!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast