Thread: Noob questions to starting a low-voltage household installations business

Thanks

Noob questions to starting a low-voltage household installations business

Hi all

I want to start off with thanking everyone who replies to this forum.

I am currently finishing my National Diploma in Electrical Engineering: Control Systems. I am at the moment doing my in-service training.

Me and my varsity friend decided we want to start our own electrical business. Among other things, we wish to do home automation installations. If i understand correctly a wiremens licence, the installation electrician(yellow card), is needed to do low-voltage household installations. Then there is the Certificate of Compliance which is also needed to be given to a client after every installation is complete.

Are there any years of experience needed to attain the wiremens license i am referring to?

If i understand correctly to obtain a wiremens license one must have/do:
    Trade test
    Installation rules
    N3

Can i hypothetically, as a installation electrician(yellow card), give a CoC after a home automation installation is complete?

Do i need to take a trade test course before doing the actual trade test or can i just study from a textbook myself?

I do not understand what it means or how to register for ECSA. If someone could briefly explain. Do i register as a candidate engineer? Do i have too little qualifications to register with ECSA? Am i asking this questions in relation to me passing my inservice training and have a national diploma in a few months. Please answer as if i have passed.

And last but not least, are these licenses the only licenses needed to start a low-voltage household installations business?

Thank you for your time
    Fasie

Thanks
    Helloo Fasie,

Let me only answer one of your questions.

1. I assume you will/have a National Diploma Engineering (S4). With that, you may register with ECSA as an 'Engineering Technician in-training'. Same thing with us here in Namibia (ECN).

Regards
    Mathias

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

To carry out electrical work you need to be registered with DOL as an Electrical contractor and they will issue you with an Electrical Contractors Licence.
    Once you are registered as an electrical contractor you can purchase COC's and issue accordingly

To register as an electrical contractor you need to be a registered "Electrical tester for Single phase" or an "Installation Electrician"or a "Master Electrician" or employ such a person in a full time capacity.
    There are forms that need to be completed and submitted to DOL - I have attached

To be one of the above registered persons you need to go through a couple of hoops as per the link - http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/downloa...lation2014.pdf