Thread: Managing wifi

Thanks

Managing wifi

Hi all you knowledgeable people. Was wondering how you manage your wifi. For example, I want to change the wifi password so my staff isn't on it. If they have to use their phones in working hours, for personal reasons, they can pay for it themselves. On the other hand, I want to offer my customers free wifi. So putting up a sign with wifi password, means that my staff will also have it (this is how I've been doing it). The options as I see it are:

1) Have the customers come to me so I can enter the password for them. Don't like this option as if it was me, I'd just ignore it plus this might keep me veeeeery busy
    2) Print little pieces of paper with wi-fi password on (or even a business card). Won't be long before one of my staff scratches in the dustbin and distributes the wifi password.

Not really a lot of options. Is there any I have missed?

Thanks
    Hannes,
    I have setup a guest network on the router and limited the bandwidth throughput. At the beginning of the year we got a nasty surprise that we had to buy more bandwidth and eventually traced it to one staff member who had some sort of hacker programme on his phone and was using 5GB a day. Since we only bought a 75GB package per month it hit us hard. What i did is speak to him and he denied it but it stopped straight after speaking to him. Since then I have changed passwords again and stopped broadcasting the SSID. It was a frustrating experience and now I watch him closely. We have printed business card size slips with our password, and switch off the router most nights and every weekend.

When we got fibre I got a 75GB package with 100 down and 50 up. This works nicely as we where coping with a 20GB package on ADSL but to download files is now a few minutes instead of 20 minutes we needed before. My only problem is this was through iConnect who have just sold the FTTH to CFibre and will need to see how long they honour that package and the performance of it.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!