Thread: Medical Aid comparison

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Medical Aid comparison

I have been on Discovery Coastal Saver for many years. We are a family of 4 and generally very healthy. The only reason I opted for the saver option is because there a couple of added benefits if you have the saver, like MRI's are covered whereas if you did not have the saver you will have to pay.

It disgusts me that my savings is sitting at >R40k which really is my money. Anyways due to the added benefit I will keep the saver for now

I am also on vitality and have free access to Virgin Active as long as I go to gym 3 times a month.

Recently a Momentum broker has been bugging me. He showed me a comparable scheme with Momentum custom option which is R756 per month cheaper than Discovery.

The premium savings is very big per month and tempting to switch. Anyone out there that has any opinions on both but more so Momentum I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Kavesh

Thanks
    Hi Kavesh

You might try Genesis. I have found them to be much cheaper than alternative schemes but totally inflexible when it comes to anything not covered in the rules.

For example, I was recently treated for cancer and Genesis covered everything but around R1 500. However they do not fund the 3- and then 4-monthly MRIs and checkup costs, apart from one MRI cost per annum limited to R6 000 maximum.

I have also opted for Gap cover from Ambledown (R585 monthly for myself and my wife) but this only kicks in if the medical aid will entertain a claim in the first place.

This might help - http://medicalaidbible.co.za/

As you have a youngish, healthy family you might try a bit of haggling. I know someone who has just done this successfully with Discovery.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response Questor. I was not aware that Discovery was open to negotiation with their medical aid rates. That is interesting. I will look into it