Thread: Advice on beginning career in IT industry

Thanks

Advice on beginning career in IT industry

Hi all,

I have recently dropped out of a finance degree as I felt as though it was not for me. Currently I am job shadowing to find out exactly where I would like to go within the IT field. I am also quite new to coding (I did IT in high school), so I am still seeing if IT is the field I would like to go into. I have been advised by a few people (some of which have been in the industry for a while) that studying for a degree would be a waste since the work taught becomes out-dated very quickly. I would like to know what degrees/courses you would recommend, if any or what you would recommend I do instead of getting a degree. Also what languages would you recommend I begin with?

Thanks in advance

Email problem
    Thanks
    It's a pity you dropped out because coding + finance degree would make you very attractive as an employee.

I'm not in IT, but I've heard of people without degrees getting hired as programmers purely by demonstrating a good portfolio of work. The one guy I know of taught himself Python, made a few apps (even made a little money off one) and armed with his portfolio got himself an entry level position. It took him 6 months of grueling hard work though, basically he locked himself in his room and made himself learn code.

He chose Python using a simple strategy: he basically searched all the job boards for programming job offers and wrote down a list of all the languages required. At the time he was doing this, Python programmers were in hot demand, so he basically taught himself the language that was in demand at the time. This seems to be a wise strategy - focus on quickly learning what's in demand now.

Anyway, like I said I'm not in IT, I just happen to have run into some people who paved their own way through coding, but from what I hear it is definitely not easy; that said, I have also met people who hire programmers, and these potential employers all said the same thing: they'd rather have someone with proven coding ability (i.e his own portfolio of apps/software) than someone with a degree, because a lot of these degrees are useless when it comes to teaching practical programming.

So that was my 2c, take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

3. Thanks given for this post:

flaker (05-Mar-18)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Its not easy to do it on your own There are so many freelancers out there and beside that children in school are now getting programming education so they be immersed in the field from 13 onwards. I have been doing this for about two years now, and yes the landscape in terms of programming languages can change very very quickly. What was told to me and what i always think of when this question arises of where to start, is just start. All languages c. and so when you learn one the second becomes easier. I learnt php, i made a point of learning it clean no frameworks ( only after i found it comfortable) as my first backend and before that i had messed around with javascript. I cannoteven begin to explain to you how much eaiser javescript became with a php backround. And this is the case with every new addition to my skillset.

Oh yes ! the words of wisdom... Languages it will forever be changeing you can adapt with them. Focus less on a specific language and more on the concept behind it. Some of the best programmers i know cant recite you an entire library but they have dealt with so many types of issues if you put omething infront of them their problem solving ability takes hold and they may refrence here of there but they bassically learn things as they go still.

Now i know you are in a slightly different position. But i do believe that this applies with most things in life careers included. The ability do adapt and learn is so much more important than knowing everything about something that will change.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member