Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCD tripping with lightning

Thanks
    Large DB = Main DB and is inside the garage. It is fed from the #1 in the figure below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	7041

Thanks
    This truely is a bizarre installation and the only thing that's for sure is that you're going to need a decent electrician and whoever it is he's going to earn his hourly rate on this one.

You've got several issues with this, firstly is the obviously non-compliant nature of the installation. This is the one that would worry me the most and I've also no idea how this installation could ever have been issued a certificate in this condition.

Secondly, as GCE pointed out, the general layout of the earth leakage protection is an open invitation for tripping problems. This isn't a compliance issue as such, nor is it a safety issue. From an electrical point of view any tripping wouldn't actually be a fault because everything would be doing its job and working as intended, it's just a user inconvenience issue.

Where to go from here is the tricky one. Your primary concern was tripping during thunder storms but I'd suggest you'd be better treating the obvious issues first before specifically chasing this problem. If the Main DB is better laid out with several single phase earth leakage breakers instead of the 3-phase one you have now then you may find your tripping during storms problem just disappears on its own. Whilst the reconfiguration of the main DB is being done I'd also remedy any other compliance issues within the DB at the same time and obviously fix any poor IR readings on the final circuits. This would be the most cost effective and whilst it shouldn't cost a fortune there would be a substantial cost involved.

After the main DB is fixed I'd get him to look at the sub DB to ensure it's on its own earth leakage protection and not supplied via an earth leakage breaker in the main DB which would present discrimination probles if there's a fault.

I'd also suggest you get your sparky to check earth impedance of the installation as well as neutral-earth voltage under load. There's a possibility the tripping during storms is a result of an earthing issue outside of the installation on the supply network.

Finally, any decent sparky would by now be familiar enough to let you know if any of the circuits need repairs so this would be the final step toward a safe and compliant installation.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am confounded by how their was an ECC when I bought the house. In any event last question:

Can anyone recommend an electrician in JHB/midrand

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlog View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am confounded by how their was an ECC when I bought the house. In any event last question:

Can anyone recommend an electrician in JHB/midrand
    Contact the ECB for a competente electrician in your area. Who is registered with them. At least you would have some recourse, shouldnthere be problems afterwards.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12