Thread: Cashbook does not balance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Cashbook does not balance

I made a mistake with the bank reconciliation. I acidently submitted the bank recon before I matched. My cashbook shows a balance if 60 000. That amount was receipt but paid back to the client. I have entered it with a - but it still shows and I have also made a Credit note out. I am new to Pastel and was only showed what to do until payments and receipts. What do I do now to remove the 60 000? The balance should be 0

Thanks
    Hi Santie. I will try to help. The Cashbook for bank transactions' balance should be the same as your bank statement closing balance if I'm not mistaken. When capturing bank statement transactions, you should try to remember to reconcile before you update.

If you forgot, like I did once, it is no train smash. The next time when you capture bank transactions (hopefully in the same month), you carry on as normal as if nothing happened. But remember to do the reconciliation by using the "bank reconciliation assistant". Double check the correct cash book (eg. CB1 8400/000) and period (especially after the beginning of a new month) and enter the bank statement closing balance (up to where you captured). Choose "select all". The "unreconciled" should be 0 AND the Diff = should be 0. Only then do you "update" and "close". If there is a difference on this screen, it means your cash book entries (eg in 8400/000) does not add up to the bank statement closing balance that you entered into the recon assistant screen. Then you must first look for your mistake, rectify it and try again.