Good morning everyone,
I was not sure where to pose this question- please direct me if this is the incorrect place.
I have a small Preschool (60 children) and have been in the teaching profession for more than 30 years. My Preschool has an excellent reputation in our area- very well staffed, qualified educators and it is all about the child. We recently enrolled a new little girl (18mths). On Sunday afternoon I received a phone call from the mother informing me that her child had been injured at school on Friday. She subsequently sent me a photograph of definite but small scratches on the child's buttock. The little girl wears a nappy. Very concerned I immediately contacted the staff concerned (a teacher who has been with me for 5yrs and an assistant who has been at the school for 7yrs) they both had no idea what I was talking about. The mother then informed me that the child had had a mark on her ear and side the first day which disappeared overnight and a small mark on her forehead one day (also not lasting until the next day.) This is a mother who phones twice a day and has never mentioned anything to myself or the teacher before. Upon further investigation I discovered that the scratches in the photo were only noticed on Sunday afternoon (48hrs after the child had been at school). This is very strange as her nappy must have been changed a few times. The parent is adamant this happened at school. I sent her to the doctor hoping this would be the last of it as the child had had a rash and could have easily scratched herself. The doctor obviously not wanting to get involved informed the parent that only a forensic pathologist could comment on the marks. The Mom said she wanted to see one and was told the only way was to lay a charge against the school- for a few scratches discovered 48hrs later??
I have no doubt that this accusation will not stand up in court but my concerns are:
1. If she lays a charge will I be arrested and if so what do I say to the police that arrive?
2. The impact this could have on my school as although I know my parents in the school will stand behind me society is not so kind.
Unfortunately I am not the first preschool to go through this- it seems to be the norm of parents who for personal reasons want to take their child out of a school without giving notice. I had just investigated lawyers for businesses but had not yet signed so I am sure they will see this as a pre-existing case. The parents seldom carry through with their threats but I have to be prepared in case this one does.
I would appreciate any advice on this matter-
Thanks
Jenny