Thread: Thinking about a career change and have some questions

Thanks

Thinking about a career change and have some questions

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I came across this forum via a Google search.

I have a few questions regarding qualifying as an "electrician". I have read about various levels of qualification but am not 100% of everything so I'm hoping some experienced guys are able to help.

So here's my story...

I'm a 39 year old Technical Manager at a manufacturing plant with a N.Dip Mechanical Engineering from NMMU and I'm looking for a career change...

For the last 2 or 3 years I've been looking to purchase a business completely out of my field but after a few disappointments have begun to investigate other options. Something I've always had in the back of my mind was how I wish I had become an electrician straight from school so I started to give it some thought. Maybe some of you went through the same process as I'm thinking and have some advice for me...

My idea of an electrician, or what I'd like to do, is have my own business doing domestic maintenance and new installations. Now with that in mind, my thinking has been, all depending on how long it will take to qualify and what an apprentice gets paid, what if instead of buying a business and using my savings as a deposit on an existing business, I subsidize myself during the apprenticeship and get qualified.

The questions I have:
    1. How long will my apprenticeship be?
    2. What sort of wage can I expect?
    3. What will my actual qualification be at the end or what is required to be able to do domestic maintenance and installations?
    4. Would my age, current qualification and experience be at all an advantage to finding an apprenticeship?
    5. How can I find out if my electrical subjects from my Diploma are credits for qualifying as an electrician?
    6. Any other advice or questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Why do you want to leave your field? Isn't there perhaps some specific need or niche that you can find within the sector you are working in? You might even be able to get your current employer to be your first customer, by solving a problem they already have. Just my 2c.

It's hard to start a business, but starting a business in what you already know and are familiar with makes it a little easier.

Anyway, sorry for not answering any of your questions, I just thought I'd prod you to think a bit more out of the box. Good luck with whatever course you decide upon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thomas View Post
    Why do you want to leave your field? Isn't there perhaps some specific need or niche that you can find within the sector you are working in? You might even be able to get your current employer to be your first customer, by solving a problem they already have. Just my 2c.

It's hard to start a business, but starting a business in what you already know and are familiar with makes it a little easier.

Anyway, sorry for not answering any of your questions, I just thought I'd prod you to think a bit more out of the box. Good luck with whatever course you decide upon!

I want away from a factory environment, away from the automotive manufacturing trade. It's no longer for me.

Thanks
    Anyone?

Email problem
    Thanks
    I think your best bet is to find an electrician who runs his own business, and ask if you can buy him lunch and bounce a few questions off him. Maybe even ask if you can spend a day or two observing him so you can get a feel of the business.

6. Thanks given for this post:

flaker (16-Feb-18)