Hi everyone, I'm new here. I came across this forum via a Google search.

I have a few questions regarding qualifying as an "electrician". I have read about various levels of qualification but am not 100% of everything so I'm hoping some experienced guys are able to help.

So here's my story...

I'm a 39 year old Technical Manager at a manufacturing plant with a N.Dip Mechanical Engineering from NMMU and I'm looking for a career change...

For the last 2 or 3 years I've been looking to purchase a business completely out of my field but after a few disappointments have begun to investigate other options. Something I've always had in the back of my mind was how I wish I had become an electrician straight from school so I started to give it some thought. Maybe some of you went through the same process as I'm thinking and have some advice for me...

My idea of an electrician, or what I'd like to do, is have my own business doing domestic maintenance and new installations. Now with that in mind, my thinking has been, all depending on how long it will take to qualify and what an apprentice gets paid, what if instead of buying a business and using my savings as a deposit on an existing business, I subsidize myself during the apprenticeship and get qualified.

The questions I have:
1. How long will my apprenticeship be?
2. What sort of wage can I expect?
3. What will my actual qualification be at the end or what is required to be able to do domestic maintenance and installations?
4. Would my age, current qualification and experience be at all an advantage to finding an apprenticeship?
5. How can I find out if my electrical subjects from my Diploma are credits for qualifying as an electrician?
6. Any other advice or questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance.