Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chocolate blocks and traffic lights

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    if you can buy it at an electrical wholesaler it must be compliant...if not why not...why should it be the electrical contractors responsibility.
    Agreed. It makes a lot of sense that the supply chain must be accountable...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    Further to the statement of the electrical wholesaler being compliant

If you have a look at OHSA under general section 22 ( pasted below ) a wholesaler cannot sell an item unless it complies
    The section/statement becomes even more interesting for the contractors that are involved in COC's for house sales - as no person may market (advertise his house for sale) - unless it complies with that requirement ( already has a COC ) . This clause has been used to overturn a house sale 3 months after the new owners wife decided it was not the house for her.Can cost the estate agent money for not giving the correct advise

22. Sale of certain articles prohibited
    Subject to the provisions of section 10 (4), if any requirement (including any health and safety standard) in respect of any article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment or for the use or application thereof has been prescribed, no person shall sell or market in any manner whatsoever such article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment unless it complies with that requirement.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I see the wago 222 range are promoting their product is SABS compliant.

Another one f the the good ol skrewit...apparently was outlawed...yet everyday i see skrewits being used...25 amp welding sockets are another product being purchased and installed in new installations.

it is simple...if you can buy it at an electrical wholesaler it must be compliant...if not why not...why should it be the electrical contractors responsibility.
    With all due respect, I am under the impression that Section 5 at the back of the CoC clearly makes it the Registered Person's responsibility, in fact, it uses the word "responsibility" and "Procure". The regulations are there for a reason, we as professionals, should make sure we procure and use the correctly approved materials. Does not matter what the store sells, it is not our job to enforce the law what they might sell or not sell, we are responsible for what we Procure.

I might be wrong, and if I am, I will humbly stand corrected.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Chocolate blocks and traffic lights

I shop at an "electrical wholesaler" ...I make a point of asking are all your products SABS approved...the answer is always the same...yes.

In fact to cover myself...I am going to make a point of sending an email to the electrical wholesaler and attach as part of the quote ...a part which requires that all parts quoted for are SABS compliant.

It is not my responsibility to check that ever plug socket sold ...has the required SABS documentation up to date every time I purchase a plug socket.

It would be an interesting court case.

I do "procure" my materials from an electrical wholesaler not jacks hardware.

Just imagine what a mission it would be if every time you purchased a plug socket they had to produce all the relevant documentation.

Please attach copies of ever electrical component you purchase and install...I am assuming you do keep copies attached to your COCs...If you are signing over COCs.

I would be interested to know how many "inspectors" do this.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12