I received my Telkom bill yesterday and noticed a very small amount deducted (don't have the invoice with me, but it was for '??? and one time payments') where usually it's nil.
I found the amount on a subsequent page and it was interest on late payment. I almost let it go because as I said, it was a small amount - less than R3.00.
But then I thought, I pay by debit order. There's no way I can be blamed for a late payment.
So I went through the hell that is Telkom's automated phone system and eventually got through to some random operator.
Turns out I was being penalised because the debit order went through on the 2nd, and not the 1st as per my contract. I pointed out that the 1st was a public holiday and in no way my fault, so why was I being penalised? In fact, if this was being done to every debit paying customer, how much money was Telkom raking in?

Needless to say the second question wasn't answered, but as the operator was dealing with my complaint, the system automatically refunded the amount.

I know Telkom is in trouble and need every penny they can lay their grubby paws on, but this is not the way to go about it.
Check this month's statement if you pay by debit order, and even if it is a small sum, phone and complain.

How much do you reckon Telkom can steal with nobody caring?

(BTW, how would I get the ombudsman involved in this?)