Thread: Critical skills visa: electrical installation inspector

Thanks

Critical skills visa: electrical installation inspector

Hi All, I have a question; have any of you fine people gained temporary residency in SA via the critical skills visa as an electrical installation inspector. Or do you know someone who has?
    I’m a UK electrician with experience and qualification in inspection and testing, thinking about taking a leap down this route. The process seems arduous and any advise I could get hold of would be warmly received!
    Best Regards,
    James

Thanks
    Why would you want to leave the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I don't have a definitive answer for you but maybe check out some of the threads by Skatingsparks, especially the older ones. https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/...394&pp=&page=2

Thanks
    Why come to SA?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Why come to SA?
    I've asked this question to a couple of foreigners and the answers are generally the same:
    - the weather is great
    - the women are pleasant to be around / South African men are 'real' men
    - you can buy more stuff because cost of living is lower, even taking into account security costs

Thanks
    It’s something that’s been slow burning inside me since I visited a few years ago; I’m not happy at home and I wonder if I ever will be contented until I can say that I gave it my best shot. Call me an old romantic.
    I read skatingspark’s very informative thread with great interest however the visas have changed since it was written..

Thanks
    Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi there James

First - if you asked me if I knew then what I know now - would I do it again - NO - bad personal experience may contribute to that 'NO' but when I left the UK I was flying.

My job was great, the money I was earning was insane and things were right with the world. (it was a girl before you ask)

But now after many years things are coming right here - it has taken a LOT of doing

If I can assist in anyway - let me know.

If you have read my other posts you must kind of know how I went about it.

If those post sound a bit negative - I was frustrated and in a bad place (coming from the UK running jobs with 20 plus guys with budgets of 10 million pounds+ to coming here and not even been able to get the most basic employment). Unemployment here is a HUGE. Even if you have a fantastic skill set getting that through to an employer, who has probably read through a few 100 C.V.'s already, is not easy.

Unless you have your own company they pay is pathetic. Can you handle working for about half UK minimum wage.... Yes, you will be living in S.A. but even now I turn things into pounds.

First get your qualifications assessed by SAQA - if you have NVQ 3 it will put you in a better position.

When I was going through the process C&G testing and inspecting, the 17th edition, design and verification and solar qualifications count for zip.

They don't care if you are a JIB site technician, JIB electrician or what ever - there is no box for them to tick for that.

The other thing - next to NO ONE does testing properly here. I'll condemn an installation on Monday and Tuesday someone will issue a compliance certificate.

That's just how it is. No one is held accountable.

As they say - Africa is not for sissy's

9. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (16-Oct-18)

Thanks
    I came to the UK twenty years ago and applied for a JIB card. I got one and added qualifications on the run, but could work onsite immediately. Life here has been very good and when I have holidays in SA, each time I come things seem worse. Think hard, I'm not a sissy but income vs cost of living, UK wins hands down and work is as easy now to find as it was when I arrived.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have never wanted to leave this country...too many nice things and easy living if you have a good job and live in what was referred to in the old days as a white suburb.

It has taken me 2.5 years to get my Vault birth certificate...just arrive at home affairs....so what has changed?

I went from being a level 4 BEE company...it made it a little easier to get a jobs...now at level 4 BEE i am told by big companies i am now "non compliant" in other words...sorry for mate...so what happens is then i start doing work for smaller companies...now i quote for work for small companies and i am getting the same shyte...as a supplier or contractor to smaller companies i am now "non complaint" again...so where to from here.

It looks like the next step is to close my business and work as a "sub contractor" to smaller companies...or pay the back hand and sub to PC companies.

The day my ride to the beachfront on my bicycle became a dangerous trip...was the day my hopes for a better future in this country dwindled.

When gangs (apparently taxi bosses body guards) can walk around openly with AK 47 in Hill street Pinetown during the day knowing that nobody will be stupid enough to challenge them...not even the police...you know it has become the wild west (south).

When contracts are bought to a standstill because the company is not paying the right people to work in an area.

When you asked "how many white people do you see working here...what are the chances we gona give you work? "

Reality check people...maybe i am living on the wrong side and of town and "connected" with the wrong people.

12. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (16-Oct-18)