Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SANS 10142-1:2017 (Ed. 2.00)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It seems i need to "refresh" my registration, SANS and COC documents.

I contacted the ECB today because i was told my "registration" has expired.

I was also told i need to get a new SANS book or download.

But more important, apparently the COC's i issue are "outdated" (bought a long time ago). Funny how nobody has ever complained about them. Maybe nobody actually reads them or know what they are suppose to look like.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Visited the ECB website, search for electrical contractors in Durban. Wow only 15 active. Does this mean everyone else is operating as pirate contractors?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The ECB no longer exists as far as I know. Registration is done directly through the DOL now and has been for some years.
    I registered last year July for 3 years, it cost me R360.00.

My phone gave me another yearly reminder this year and I paid again this July for another 3 years, another R360.00. I forgot about last year.

I spent hours and hours trying to get a refund, no such luck, that money went on a one way journey.

Trying to get anyone to answer the phone was the greatest challenge and then trying to tell the person who did answer the phone my story??
    I may as well have been talking Chinese.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Ians

It is not compulsory to belong to ECB, it is your own choice.
    Same way that it is not compulsary to be a member of the ECA - As far as I know ECB only helps out with Technical issues whereas ECA helps with Technical , Contractual , Labour and Training.Makes more sense top join ECA vs ECB

It is compulsory to be registered with DOL and be in possession of a contractors Licence as issued by the department if you want to be an Electrical contractor

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It seems you are right. I am wondering if it is even worth while going to the trouble of registering.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By registering you become an Electrical contractor

By not registering , you are a handyman who performs illegal electrical work and runs the risk of prosecution under the OHSA
    By not registering your insurance company will not pay out any claims under contractors all risk and possible public liability depending on the nature of the claim.
    By not registering your client could refuse payment and a court of law could find that you fraudulent presented yourself as an Electrical contractor and therefore uphold the non payment until it is rectified or charge you criminally for fraud.

Besides being the legal thing to do and register as an Electrical contractor - is it really worth not registering for R120.00 per year vs the risks you will place yourself in.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Greetings All

I recall reading a thread regarding the change of installing socket outlets awhile ago that caused some confusion, this afternoon I recieved an article expling this in detail.

http://crown.co.za/latest-news/spark...socket-outlets
    I received a ECB version of the regulation this morning that differs from the ECA version with regards to existing installation.

Leaves a person wondering who is right and who is wrong - Amazing how the regulations can be interpreted so differently
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-Oct-18 at 05:39 AM. Reason: quoted post cleanup

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tony vs Cecil... Expect sparks!!

Tony seems to rely on this statement in SANS 10142-1 for his interpretation when it comes to extensions and additions to existing installations:

If an existing installation is extended or altered, such extension or alteration shall comply with the provisions of this part of SANS 10142-1 that were applicable at the time of the erection of the extension or alteration.
    The key may be the significance of "this part".

I don't have my copy available right now, but in which part is the statement made and applicable to?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It comes from the Introduction page 3 - Always worries me that there are to many personality clashes involved in the interruption and it is the contractor that gets taken to task in the end.
    We need to keep pushing that the ECA , ECB and AIA sit around the same table and publish notes that they all agree on. Will make all our lives easier .

In terms of the OHS Act, the provisions of this part of SANS 10142 apply only
    from the point of control to the point of consumption.
    Because this part of SANS 10142 is continually updated, problems can arise
    on which version of the standard will be applicable when a contract is signed.
    The date of approval of the latest revision or amendment of this part of
    SANS 10142 will be the implementation date of the revision or the
    amendment. The applicable version of this part of SANS 10142 is the one
    with the latest implementation date before the contract date. So contracts
    signed before the approval of an amendment have to be carried out in
    accordance with the provisions of the unamended standard. If an existing
    installation is extended or altered, such extension or alteration has to comply
    with the provisions of this part of SANS 10142 that were applicable at the
    time of the erection of the extension or alteration.
    The edition of the standard that was applicable at the date of erection of an
    electrical installation is to be considered the edition defining the requirements
    applicable to that particular electrical installation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The challenge with Cecil is he sits on the SANS Committee; as a result he has in his head what was intended (or at least what he intended). I've found the odd occasion where the words on the page actually state something different to what he intended them to say, and he does not easily concede that it "came out wrong" (or he was out of step with the rest of the committee??).

Tony misquoted the section. As you correctly quote, the section refers to "this part of SANS 10124" (not this part of SANS 10142-1) - so "this part" is surely -1.

Based on that though, I'm with Tony. After the latitude given on the time of signing of the contract has been taken into account, the language plainly states that extensions and alterations to existing installations done today need to apply the current edition of SANS 10142-1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast