Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SANS 10142-1:2017 (Ed. 2.00)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member
    Thanks

SANS 10142-1:2017 (Ed. 2.00)

I would like to start a thread specifically to discuss the new SANS 10142-1:2017 (Ed. 2.00)

My first question is
    When I purchase the PDF version can I install it on my office computer as well as my phone?
    I could with the 2009 version
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I would think so?

But when in doubt: (last page in sans pdf)

Copyright:

The copyright in a South African National Standard or any other publication published by the SABS
    Standards Division vests in the SABS or, in the case of a South African National Standard based on
    an international standard, in the organization from which the SABS adopted the standard under
    licence or membership agreement. In the latter case, the SABS has the obligation to protect such
    copyright. Unless exemption has been granted, no extract may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval
    system or transmitted in any form or by any means without prior written permission from the SABS
    Standards Division. This does not preclude the free use, in the course of implementing the
    standard, of necessary details such as symbols, and size, type or grade designations. If these
    details are to be used for any purpose other than implementation, prior written permission must be
    obtained.

Details and advice can be obtained from the Manager – Standards Sales and Information Services.
    Tel: +27 (0) 12 428 6883 Fax: +27 (0) 12 428 6928 E-mail: sales@sabs.co.za

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copyright 295 Dec. 17 12.20.jpg 
Views:	1975 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	6949

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I made inquiries to The ECA regarding the availability of the electronic version of the SANS-1.2017 V2 and was told that an update to it is imminent.
    This made me think;
    If I was to buy the paper version then the update would be offered free of charge at The ECA, consisting of all the pages upon which the information was changed. Inserting the new pages into the exiting booklet would be simple and life would carry on as normal afterwards.
    However, those who have purchased the electronic version are not in the same predicament. To get the same updates electronically one would have to purchase a brand new electronic copy and that is not cheap either.
    When one considers the cost of printing and distributing paper updates, as opposed to updating and re-posting a PDF File, nothing makes any sense.
    Surely those who have purchased the original PDF File should also be furnished with an updated PDF file as they become available, at no extra cost?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

4. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (18-Feb-18)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    After a visit to the ECA it has become apparent that they no longer supply free copies of the amendments to the SANS 10142-1 book.
    Once there is an update both the book and the pdf file have to be repurchased. It seems that it has been this way for the past seven years.
    The file is available from them on a disk, as in the past.
    My apologies for any misinformation.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

To me one of the most significant regulations that has been brought in is the inclusion of a Euro socket ( SANS 164-2 ) at every socket outlet point.
    It appears that this regulation is being misread with some strange interpretations.

SANS 10142-1 ED 2 - pg 177 - 6.15.1.1.1 c - effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2.Socket-outlets points may also include socket-outlets complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-1.

The above regulation does not have any comma's or full stops between socket outlet points and new electrical installations. It also starts with socket outlet points and then refers to at least one socket outlet
    It therefore reads that every socket outlet point shall have a euro

If we have a look at the definition of Installation work in the OHSA , which is what gives SANS 10142 teeth , it defines it as - the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation.

The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.

7. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (25-Feb-18), JacksonS (14-Aug-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    The old single socket and double socket that we are used to can therefore no longer be installed in new electrical installations.We can install any combination of old 16amp sockets , USB sockets as long as one of the socket outlets at the socket outlet point is a Euro.
    Explains why some suppliers have a special on 4x2 "normal" SSO units at the moment. They're dumping stock that legally we are no longer allowed to install

Where does this leave us with dedicated and 5 amp socket outlets?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The dedicated socket outlet stays as we know it - There are moves to introduce a Euro red dedicated , blue and black in the future. The future could be awhile since the introduction of the Euro socket first started doing the rounds in 1980 , eventually got to SANS 10142 as the preferred socket in 2013 and finally compulsory in 2018 - I could be watching the introduction of dedicated euros from above if the pace stays the same.

The 5 Amp socket remains as we know it, to use exclusively for individual luminaires only, subject to SANS 10142 6.14.1.4 pg 174

Thanks
    Good day!

Is there a list of changes from the 2012 edition somewhere? I don't see it in the new doc.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jackson

There is not a table with the changes since Amdt 8 in 2012 and also because it is not an amendment but a new edition- Because it is a new edition they expect us to read the complete book and find the tweaks on the wording and the extra pieces added.

There were changes made to
    the alternative supply's and included a bit on PV , UPS etc
    Some extra pieces added in around DC systems and color coding
    Changes to the reference standards and tables
    Changes to the COC test report
    Geysers now on earth leakage
    Changes to consumers earth terminal
    New socket outlet requirements to SANS 164-2 ( euro)

There are quiet a few spots were a may or shall where swooped out which may not appear to be a big change but does have implications.
    We have been sending our guys on COC update courses to fine tune the knowledge

12. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Aug-18)

Thanks
    Thanks GCE. That's very helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast