Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SANS 10142-1:2017 (Ed. 2.00)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Being 2018 and all the modern tech, what is the chance that you can renew and pay online?

Ooops ...just found all the documents required. Best i be renewing this ASAP, someone might actually read one and find people are issuing COC's

Wow, just shows how few people actually take note of COC documents or information written on them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Being 2018 and all the modern tech, what is the chance that you can renew and pay online?
    Now there's a dream worth pursuing!!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Imagine that another another family leaving for a safer place to live. Bonus for me, i get to inherit the latest Sans edition 2 with a pile of seminar documentation. I might get around to reading the drivel printed, one day when i retire.

Working on site at the moment, wonder why people waste all this time and money on rules and regulations, safety induction, medical checks ...blah blah blah. Then you open the roof tile and look across the ceiling and wonder why the safety of all the employees working in the office is not taken into consideration.

Finding shyte like, white wires being used as live...neutral and in some cases earth. No earthing on the plugs sockets, no earth leakage on any white sockets, the list is too long.

I can tell you why, because it is paper work to cover the companies a$$ in case of an accident. Companies can be lucky i am not a government safety consultant with authority to shut down buildings due to negligence. I do have the authority as a master electrician, however i have bills to pay like everyone else. It was bad enough having inspectors come to site to collect their case of the finest whiskey back in the day, but now there is absolutely no control.

My aircon mate arrived yesterday, telling me a how he was electrocuted and burnt on a site due to incorrect labeling and unsafe working conditions. A couple contractors die, what is the big deal?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Afternoon All

I have recently been requested to complete the installation of electronic billboards can I please have some advise?

Do these fall under fixed appliances or lights?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Afternoon all

When it comes to stove connections the regulations refer to stove being fixed appliances which is normal.

The issue I have is that further on in the regulations it stipulates that freestanding stoves, a stove coupler must be used and if not must be on an earth leakage.

What about non freestanding stoves?

I place all stoves on an earth leakage and was questioned and asked to show were in the regulations non freestanding stoves must be on an earth leakage and I can't find it.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I think the reason they state that a stove on a stove coupler need not be protected by ELU is to cut out any confusion with regards to socket outlets that need to be on ELU.They are ensuring that everybody understands that a stove coupler definitely does not need ELU
    If you look at 6.16.3 it defines a built in unit as a cooking appliance under fixed appliances.
    Under 6.16.3.2.3 it states that it only requires ELU if the cooking appliance also feeds a standard socket outlet.( this was for the old isolator that used to come with a socket outlet for the extract fan) I think from 6.16.3.2.3 it is clear as mud that you don't need ELU protection on a cooking circuit under normal conditions

6.7.5.5 The following do not need earth leakage protection:
    a) socket-outlets connected to a safety supply, but see 7.8.3.3 and 7.12;
    b) a socket-outlet that complies with SANS 164-4 and that is intended only
    for the connection of an appliance for critical application (such as
    emergency lighting, a deep-freeze, a burglar alarm, data processing
    equipment, or life-supporting equipment);
    c) circuits that supply fixed socket-outlets positioned out of normal reach,
    rated at less than 16 A and intended for the connection of luminaires (see
    6.14.1.4); and
    d) a stove coupler that complies with SANS 60309-1 and of dimensions as
    given in SANS 337 (see 6.15.1.1.5).

6.15.1.1.5 A stove coupler shall comply with the requirements of
    SANS 60309-1 and shall be of dimensions as given in SANS 337.
    NOTE 1 Earth leakage protection is not required for the stove circuit when a stove
    coupler is used
    NOTE 2 For a three-phase coupler, the earth connection needs special consideration.

6.16 Fixed appliances
    6.16.1 General
    NOTE The general requirements in 6.16.1.1 to 6.16.1.12 apply, except where
    otherwise required for specific cases.
    6.16.1.1 Fixed appliances do not form part of the electrical installation other
    than their positioning in relation to the supply and the wiring carried out
    between different parts of the appliances

6.16.3 Cooking appliances
    NOTE Cooking appliances include built-in stoves, oven hobs, and the like (see also
    6.16.1)

6.16.3.2.3 A cooking appliance circuit may also supply one socket-outlet if
    the rating of the socket-outlet does not exceed 16 A and if the following are
    all contained in one control unit (see also 6.15.4.1):
    a) the socket-outlet;
    b) an earth leakage protection device including overcurrent protection for
    protecting the socket-outlet; and
    c) the switch-disconnector required for the cooking appliance (see 6.16.1).
    NOTE The socket-outlet has to be protected against earth leakage so, unless the
    protection device (see (b) above) is in the control unit, the entire cooking appliance
    circuit has to be protected against earth leakage.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Thank you GCE.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Now there's a dream worth pursuing!!
    The question i keep asking myself...why is it a dream...are we such a bunch of spineless sheep who just follow as we are told?

Do the electrical contractors not pay the ECA to look out for them...make things happen to improve the electrical industry?

Why has the electrical industry not got a body or organisation to protect us as contractors...

make sure we get paid...

make sure the DOL follow up on complaints...

make sure a systems are put in place to get registration done more efficiently....up to date...tracking down pirate contractors.

make sure that there are suitably qualified people make the rules and changing the regulations as the industry evolves...not a bunch yahooos who sit in an office...they should try include people who are out there hands on doing the projects.

making sure that electrical contractors who advertise that they are registered contractors are not dropping off semi skilled labour to perform tasks above their grade.

doing random checks on issued COC's ...the joke of the industry at the moment...the majority of people collecting COC's which are suppose to be certified legal documents as everyone makes them out of be...dont even have a clue what the recording are or if they even correct...i can tell you now i have issued COC as a test to see if anyone actually reads them...and i can tell you now...if you ever come across them you will know they are mine because...i use the name jack sparrow for the test certificates...which have absolute bullshyte written on them...with numbers like 10810.

i have just been advised that the project i am busy with has a COC for the work completed...to give you one example of how messed up it is...the lights circuit is connected to the C1 orange 20 amp breaker which is the dedicated aircon circuit feeding 2 seperate aircon isolators in 2 completely different locations...not one of the white standard plugs are on earth leakage...in fact i am yet to find a socket outlet which actually trip the earth leakage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123