Thread: 5A Unswitched Circuits

Thanks

5A Unswitched Circuits

Hi Guys

I need advise on light circuits wired with unswitched 5A round plugs.

A light circuit are wired with 5A unswitched plugs . Lets say 5 recess florescent light fittings to be plug in.
    Ho do i record it on the coc? What if i have a fan also plugged in on the circuit with a 5a unswitched plug?
    Is it a mixed circuit ,yes or no ? I know when something plug in ,it is regarded as not part of the installation ?

Appreciate your advise.

Jaboel

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    Would mark it on the coc as a light point - only one fitting per socket - Fan may not be plugged into a 5 amp socket.
    If something is plugged in and the cord is clipped to the skirting , or through a wall , or longer than 3m , then it is part of the fixed installation ( 6.16.1.9 ed 2 )
    I have pasted a discussion below that I had previously -

Question was – Can you connect a bathroom type fan to the light fitting in a bathroom –

If we look at 6.16.1.3. – It refers to the fan incorporated into a luminaries – in this case you can protect by earth leakage and ignore the isolator

Then back to 6.16.1.2 – Every fixed appliance shall be supplied through a switch disconnector – The fan being referred to in the question was a “stand alone type fan” and therefore would need an isolator ( ELU will not be allowed )

6.14.1.4 – A lighting circuit may use a socket complying with SANS 164-3 (b) supplies one luminaries only –* I read this as saying that only luminaries can be fed from a 6 amp socket and not fans .

6.16.4 – Heaters appliances for heating and cooling – note 3 includes extraction and ventilation fans – refers to dedicated circuits over 16Amp – so would assume that small extraction fans could go onto a mix loaded circuit as long as it has an isolator
    6.16.5.1.4 – basically states that you may not use a double pole c/breaker to act as the isolator in the D/board* for the extract fan
    6.15.4.2 – allows for mixed loading of non dedicated single phase circuits not rated above 20 amps and may feed luminaries and fixed appliances*

The answer – Yes you may connect the fan to the luminaries circuit as long it is fed by an isolator , taking into account 6.16.5.1.4,* and that the circuit is labelled as mixed loaded in the DB

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Further to the above post from 2017

For info and to keep up with changes

In previous editions of SANS 10142-1 you were not allowed to use a 5 Amp socket ( SANS 164-3) outlet for a "bathroom fan "

The latest Ed 3 of SANS 10142-1 now finally allows it , reg pasted below

6.16.4.3 Extraction fans
    Where an extraction fan supply is switched with a luminaire, it shall be
    connected to the switched portion of the light circuit, provided that the fan
    circuit is connected by means of a SANS 164-3 or SANS 164-2-1 or
    SANS 164-2-2 socket-outlet or a switch disconnector

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (08-Aug-21)