Thread: 5A Unswitched Circuits

Thanks

5A Unswitched Circuits

Hi Guys

I need advise on light circuits wired with unswitched 5A round plugs.

A light circuit are wired with 5A unswitched plugs . Lets say 5 recess florescent light fittings to be plug in.
    Ho do i record it on the coc? What if i have a fan also plugged in on the circuit with a 5a unswitched plug?
    Is it a mixed circuit ,yes or no ? I know when something plug in ,it is regarded as not part of the installation ?

Appreciate your advise.

Jaboel

Thanks
    Hi
    Would mark it on the coc as a light point - only one fitting per socket - Fan may not be plugged into a 5 amp socket.
    If something is plugged in and the cord is clipped to the skirting , or through a wall , or longer than 3m , then it is part of the fixed installation ( 6.16.1.9 ed 2 )
    I have pasted a discussion below that I had previously -

Question was – Can you connect a bathroom type fan to the light fitting in a bathroom –

If we look at 6.16.1.3. – It refers to the fan incorporated into a luminaries – in this case you can protect by earth leakage and ignore the isolator

Then back to 6.16.1.2 – Every fixed appliance shall be supplied through a switch disconnector – The fan being referred to in the question was a “stand alone type fan” and therefore would need an isolator ( ELU will not be allowed )

6.14.1.4 – A lighting circuit may use a socket complying with SANS 164-3 (b) supplies one luminaries only –* I read this as saying that only luminaries can be fed from a 6 amp socket and not fans .

6.16.4 – Heaters appliances for heating and cooling – note 3 includes extraction and ventilation fans – refers to dedicated circuits over 16Amp – so would assume that small extraction fans could go onto a mix loaded circuit as long as it has an isolator
    6.16.5.1.4 – basically states that you may not use a double pole c/breaker to act as the isolator in the D/board* for the extract fan
    6.15.4.2 – allows for mixed loading of non dedicated single phase circuits not rated above 20 amps and may feed luminaries and fixed appliances*

The answer – Yes you may connect the fan to the luminaries circuit as long it is fed by an isolator , taking into account 6.16.5.1.4,* and that the circuit is labelled as mixed loaded in the DB