Thread: Inconvenient Installations

Thanks

Inconvenient Installations

As explained I have been thrown back into Domestic Electrical installations due to my son buying and selling houses after major renovations.
    So to assist I allow one of my guys who is qualified and trying to do his regulation exams.
    He failed the last one in August and is trying again, so he should know a few regulations with regard to SANS .0142.

I have a situation with a new home owner and this is now my problem.
    1. We have a bedroom light switch in the Flatlet that must be on to allow the bathroom light to switch on.
    So the bathroom light will only switch on and off if the bedroom light is ON.
    2. The flatlet has a proper DB properly labelled and blanks all as it should be but no earth leakage.
    the earth leakage protection is handled via the house earth leakage with correct cb protecting the cable.

Are these installations legal and reasonably safe.
    These are the first two issues we have had complaints about and understand they are very inconvenient.
    Lesson learnt also is would you move into the house and be happy with these issues NO.
    The lighting part was found and left as is but for a new light fittings and new switches and cover in both.
    But are these above 100% legal or would you fix and be done.

Thanks
    The arrangement of the lighting circuit, whilst unorthodox and probably inconvenient, isn't in breach of any regs as far as I know.

Same with the RCD protection of the flatlet being in the main house DB, inconvenient but not illegal.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i would recommend the lights be wired properly, even if it is legal. it would probably be quicker to correct the wiring then the time you spent discussing it with the customer. a wire can be changed in the light switch box or above the light fitting depending how they have wired it.
    i ignore all the "loopholes" and do repairs that i could have got away with leaving. not to make extra money but because its safer and i dont want "come backs"
    e.g. earthing of light fittings out of arms reach. i replace all faulty light fittings and even lamps.

Thanks
    Bergie agree 100% lesson learnt.
    The reason why my guy never fixed it properly is because the flatlet has a flat roof.

Any way so now I have the very latest SANS 10142-1:2017 Edition 2

I don't want to bore the experienced guys but I am finding all this very interesting so please bear with me
    6.13.2.3 Antennas
    The conductive components of an antenna structure (including a satellite dish)
    may be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a conductor of at least 2,5 mm2 copper or equivalent.
    So no more 6mm2 and is that the well known "may"

6.7.5 Earth leakage protection
    c) in circuits supplying water heaters
    6.16.2.1 All water heaters shall be bonded in accordance with 6.13 and shall be protected by earth leakage protection with I∆n not exceeding 30 mA.
    NOTE To mitigate nuisance earth leakage tripping, an additional earth leakage may be provided.
    So you then could install a new earthleakage in an enclosure next to a geyser, could I do that in place of an isolator (just asking) but I will read the disc.
    Last edited by IMGREG; 27-Oct-17 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Changed my font

Thanks
    6.13.2.4 Roofs, gutters, down pipes and waste pipes
    If a building is connected to an electricity supply, the roof(s), gutter(s), down pipe(s) and waste pipe(s) shall be bonded and earthed and the resistance of the earth continuity path shall not exceed 0,2 Ω, unless
    b) the supply uses an underground service connection,

Is this new ? I thought any metal roof house must be earthed ? Metal downpipe etc bonded.

And the answer to my question about the carport

6.12.3.2 The following conductive parts do not need to be earthed:
    g) structural steelwork, including items such as fire escapes and cat ladders; and

The carport has no electricity near it.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGREG View Post
    6.13.2.4 Roofs, gutters, down pipes and waste pipes
    If a building is connected to an electricity supply, the roof(s), gutter(s), down pipe(s) and waste pipe(s) shall be bonded and earthed and the resistance of the earth continuity path shall not exceed 0,2 Ω, unless
    b) the supply uses an underground service connection,

Is this new ? I thought any metal roof house must be earthed ? Metal downpipe etc bonded.

And the answer to my question about the carport

6.12.3.2 The following conductive parts do not need to be earthed:
    g) structural steelwork, including items such as fire escapes and cat ladders; and

The carport has no electricity near it.
    thats not new. the roof only needs to be earthed if there is an overhead connection.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGREG View Post
    Bergie agree 100% lesson learnt.
    The reason why my guy never fixed it properly is because the flatlet has a flat roof.

Any way so now I have the very latest SANS 10142-1:2017 Edition 2

I don't want to bore the experienced guys but I am finding all this very interesting so please bear with me
    6.13.2.3 Antennas
    The conductive components of an antenna structure (including a satellite dish)
    may be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a conductor of at least 2,5 mm2 copper or equivalent.
    So no more 6mm2 and is that the well known "may"

6.7.5 Earth leakage protection
    c) in circuits supplying water heaters
    6.16.2.1 All water heaters shall be bonded in accordance with 6.13 and shall be protected by earth leakage protection with I∆n not exceeding 30 mA.
    NOTE To mitigate nuisance earth leakage tripping, an additional earth leakage may be provided.
    So you then could install a new earthleakage in an enclosure next to a geyser, could I do that in place of an isolator (just asking) but I will read the disc.
    you could use the earth leakage relay as an isolator next to the geyser. the only problem would be when it trips and you have to climb in the roof to reset.
    im not sure about the " may " be earthed with 2.5mm . they change the antennae regualtions so much . at one stage it needed its own separate earth spike with 10mm wire .