Thread: Quickbooks over VPN

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Quickbooks over VPN

Guys, I need some info...

I recently installed a new Linux server for a accountant, in order for his assistant to be able to work remotely due to illness.

VPN has been set up, and it takes her all of 3 seconds to dial in over 3G/HSDPA and she's logged onto the network...

Problem is that Pastel(which they are using) is a pain in the butt over the VPN and bombs out because of latency on the network...

He has asked me to investigate the possible use of Quickbooks in order for them to continue working remotely... My question is this: Does anyone of you use Quickbooks remotely over VPN and what are the speeds like?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd hesitate to recommend attempting older versions of Quickbooks for access over VPN. My Quickbooks 2003 is pretty slow at times over a 100mbps LAN. However Quickbooks 2008 has been released and I recall VPN functionality being listed as a feature.

Thanks

Cool

OK, have just done some Googling on VPN's and the like, thanks to Hellkom and their wonderful service in South Africa, a VPN connection is going to be far to slow for an accounting package...

Here is what I'm going to try next: GoToMyPC

More info for those wondering:

How it works:

1. Download GoToMyPC. Setup is automatic and takes 2 minutes. Leave your PC on and connected to the Internet.

2. Log in to www.gotomypc.co.uk from any Internet connection in the world. Click Connect, and your PC desktop will appear in front of you.

3. Start working on your PC as if you were sitting in front of it – even if you're thousands of miles away.

GoToMyPC has a free 30day trial, and if this works like they say it does, this might be the end of VPN's in South Africa... Follow the link and check out their technology

Has anyone else used this before? I'm oldschool, have my travelling laptop when I'm offsite with most of my data on it, and VPN connections are always close by when info is needed, but I haven't worked with a Citrix product in a long while, not since the late 90's when using MS products with an underlying Citrix framework...

Will be doing testing this week for those interested, let me know and I will report back on my findings.

Thanks
    I'm on VPN remote from home, connected to our server at the office - using Pastel - no problems (unless ADSL is down). We have Cape, PE and Gauteng on as well - also no problems.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bushbaby, is that doing it via VPN to a remote desktop, or VPN directly into the Pastel program?

Thanks
    I've had some issues to sort with this... Client complains that it is too slow to work with, but then again he has not bothered to read the FAQ regarding speeding things up...

Going to cost me a drive up to JHB to go set him and his PA set up as neither of them has the tech-savvy to get to the finer points of the program but do have a willingness to learn.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see the challenge being passing only the display elements over the VPN connection, but keeping the processing on the host machine. Accounting software tends to process a significant amount at the terminal. I don't know whether this is out of need (security or other issues), or to ensure licenced installations on each machine (fees).

Thanks
    I have reluctantly got Quickbooks 2006 and it is slow on my machine, so could not imagine it over a network.

Quickbooks local helpdesk is useless - they dont get back with solutions and generally do not have any answers readily at hand

Then considering that Quickbooks told MS where to put Vista and their certification programme, and do not seem to have been very inovative in upgrading their software, (2006 looks and feels the same as version 3 that I bought many many years ago), I cannot see that they even know what VPN stands for or how it works.

My recommendation is that if one can avoid Quickbooks then do so.

Thanks
    Sorry about hooking up an oldish tread but the expensive way would be to use a product such as Citrix, but a cheap solution that I found worked very well was some software called "Remote Admin". I used it in preference to Citrix to do remote maintenace and training. No change required in opertaing systems. All data can remain on office LAN and be backed up etc.

This is installed on two PC's connected via VPN or diginet and works very well using minimal band width. At least VPN security remains in place. If you need more detail PM me.