Thread: Rent-my rights

Thanks

Rent-my rights

I have a coffee shop on Metrorail property and pay rent to Intersite Property Management. My lease contract came to an end in April and since then I have not recieved any accounts for rent. When I phone them they say there is no money outstanding on their computer. My buddy down the line has not had an account since December when his lease ended. Although I have put the money aside every month, my concern is this;

1) When they eventualy draw up a new agreement, do I have to pay interest?
    2) If the new rent is too high for sustainment of the business, am I forced to pay this amount from April to now even if I close the shop?
    3) If they want me out and have a BEE guy run it, do I still have to pay the rent outstanding?

If somebody knows answers or where I can get answers, please let me know.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there any clause in the lease agreement that deals with the situation at the end of the lease period?

Was there an escalation clause for the previous years in the lease agreement?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If it were my business in this situation, I would appoint my lawyer to handle the matter, calculate exactly what is due inclusive of any built in escalation clause and lodge that money in trust with your lawyer, notify Metrorail of the funds held in trust, and demand some clarification on the future renewed lease!
    Naturally find out from your lawyer if it is possible to claim your legal costs from Metrorail.
    Retain all evidence that you have attempted to resolve this matter on your own and now have no option but to resort to legal assistance.

You need to ensure that you are not in default of the terms of your lease or this could prejudice your matter if any problems subsequently arise.

Yvonne

Thanks
    I don't want to get agro with them as they can terminate my lease if I do. The shop is worth too much to let it go for zilch.
    There is no clause for the end of contract. The problem with state owned property is that if they see you are doing well then they don't renew your contract and give it to a buddy for free.
    The BIG RENT BOSS came to my shop today. This is what transpired:
    Him-- You have not paid rent since April. Why not?
    Me -- I need an account that my accountant can reconcile.
    Him -- No man. You must pay.
    Me -- Tell me how much and I will pay. Send me an account.
    Him -- OK, I will get to you later.
    So off he goes to the all the illegal hawkers arround my shop giving them his
    phone number if they have have any problems.
    Welcome to the new SA