Thread: Internet packages

Thanks

Internet packages

Currently looking for a decent internet package with good coverage in the Phoenix area. I know this question is better suited for the mybroadband site but I can't seem to register there, so if anyone can help here it would be much appreciated. 4Mbps speed is fine and I need something that's got like a night surfer option (I.e. free uncapped surfing from 12am-7am). I don't mind if the package is capped during the day. Currently looking at telkom, afrihost and mweb. Need some help choosing. Here's what I've gotten so far

Telkom:
    Home unlimited for R600 is perfect but I don't like the locking down for 24 months at such a high price
    Their Softcap bundles are also good but I have heard from friends that their 'free' night surfer has some sort of cap equivalent to the day time Softcap. (Eg. If you have 40 GB during the day you only get 40GB free toat use at night). If they don't have this, would there still be any sort of threshold/cap on the night surfer ?

Mweb:
    Their uncapped line is a good deal. But I have no idea what their fair usage policy is on how much data I can use before they throttle my speeds.
    Their Softcap with uncapped at night also seems like a fair deal, but I'm unsure of this due to some unanswered questions namely i) would you incur further costs if you exceed their fair usage policy threshold (on uncapped), ii) is night surfer also available on the uncapped line and if so would any data you use during this time contribute towards their FUP (with telkom's home unlimited it does not) and iii) what are their FUPs (they do not state it on the website. I found a mybroadband thread detailing them but it was dated for 2 years ago) ?

Afrihost:
    The fact that you have to get an adsl line rental with telkom first for their dsl packages is what puts me off this a bit. A 4Mbps line with telkom is r300. In addition to this, there have been talks that their network isn't that good or fast anymore. More or less the same questions as mweb's though. Would you pay for exceeding their FUP (if there is one on their capped bundle night surfer) and is there a FUP on their night surfer for capped bundles.

Please guys all help will be appreciated on this matter. Questions are also welcome Thanks.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Telkom LTE 50+50gig R749

Thanks
    Far too expensive for a capped bundle😥

Thanks
    Update:
    Mweb does offer a night surfer option (12am-7am) that does not count towards their AUP/FUP (Which is 150 GB on a 4 Mbps line) on their uncapped line.

Telkom also offers their homeunlimited package on a month to month basis instead of a 24 month lockdown, but you will not get a free router/modem.

In Phoenix has anyone encountered any problems wrt signal or speeds with either of these networks or any other unrelated problems with these networks (e.g. tech support, account issues etc.)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KaylinG View Post
    Far too expensive for a capped bundle��

Really ? Show me a bundle of 100gigs per month that averages out at between 15-30 megs per second ?
    I am interested to know what is cheaper and as reliable

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Really ? Show me a bundle of 100gigs per month that averages out at between 15-30 megs per second ?
    I am interested to know what is cheaper and as reliable
    Fair point on the speeds but the cap limit is too low. There's a minimum of 4 people that are going to be using the wifi (not all at the same time though, which is why I said 4 Mbps speed is fine) and at least 2 of them are heavy data users (i.e. they download a lot of torrents and stuff).

I should have mentioned that the issue here is not speed of the connection, but the amount of data, which is why an uncapped night surfer option is appealing. The 2 heavy data users can use the uncapped night surfer to do most of their downloads, instead of throttling the line during the day.

Thanks
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post this ?
    If you can get fibre.... ! Check out https://www.fibertiger.co.za we list and compare all the packages and stuff
    Disclaimer its my site.

Thanks
    Fiber is not an option. Helkom's workers (about 10 of them) trampled my place for a week to install the fiber cable, and it took another 5 technicians half a day to connect the connection point box. The address is not even listed for fiber optic, and they want > R2000 for the installation :-(

I don't think the intention for it is to work, it's to create jobs for the masses they import here from Africa. The fool who want to use the service will pay for them all.

The previous attempt to install an ADSL line resulted in their "technician" sitting on the street corner for a week buggering the phone lines up and could not get ADSL to work. Also the service that was going to cost around "only R459pm" turned out to be double because some "service provider" wanted his cut as well.
    Regards
    Fanie

Thanks
    Telkom:
    Home unlimited for R600 is perfect but I don't like the locking down for 24 months at such a high price
    Their Softcap bundles are also good but I have heard from friends that their 'free' night surfer has some sort of cap equivalent to the day time Softcap. (Eg. If you have 40 GB during the day you only get 40GB free toat use at night). If they don't have this, would there still be any sort of threshold/cap on the night surfer ?

I have Telkom On-The-Go LTE internet. 24 month contract. Big mistake. Night surfer I never get more than 1 mbps. Bang on 7 am my speed goes up to 20 mbps.

Lots of better packages out there in terms of what you get and what you pay for and on a month to month basis, so you can cancel with a months notice. I am stuck now for another 12 months on contract.