Thread: Warranty on Workmanship Query

Thanks

Warranty on Workmanship Query

Could someone please enlighten me on how a warranty on workmanship operates.

About 5 months ago the gearbox of my vehicle crashed and I took it to an independent service centre to be repaired. My car's factory warranty had just expired, which is why I did not take it to the agents to be repaired.

The gearbox was overhauled and, while they had the opportunity, replaced the clutch assembly as well, as my car's mileage was about 160,000 km. I was given a warranty on workmanship of 6 months or 15,000 km, whichever came first.

Last week my gearbox crashed again (5 months and 10,000 km later), and I returned my car to the service centre, and they have repaired it at no charge due to the warranty. Apparently there was a fault with the clutch and pressure plate.

When I enquired as to whether I would be given a new 6 month/15,000 km warranty, they said that I only have the remainder of the original warranty and no more.

Is that the norm, or do I have a case to insist on a new full warranty?
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    When I enquired as to whether I would be given a new 6 month/15,000 km warranty, they said that I only have the remainder of the original warranty and no more.

Is that the norm, or do I have a case to insist on a new full warranty?
    As I understand it, that is the norm indeed. However, this little bit is interesting -

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Last week my gearbox crashed again (5 months and 10,000 km later), and I returned my car to the service centre, and they have repaired it at no charge due to the warranty. Apparently there was a fault with the clutch and pressure plate.
    This seems to indicate defective goods or workmanship, which depending on the fine print might fall outside of the strict limitations of the warranty. The motor industry is pretty good about covering themselves in fine print, though.

I've managed to leverage big discounts out of demonstrated defective workmanship claims outside of warranty in the past.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    As I understand it, that is the norm indeed. However, this little bit is interesting -

This seems to indicate defective goods or workmanship, which depending on the fine print might fall outside of the strict limitations of the warranty. The motor industry is pretty good about covering themselves in fine print, though.

I've managed to leverage big discounts out of demonstrated defective workmanship claims outside of warranty in the past.
    The service centre indicated to me that they are having a fight with their supplier of the parts, who apparently is refusing to honour any warranty on the defective parts!
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    As they claim that the subsequent failure was due to a defective clutch & pressure plate, one hopes that they have now replaced same with a different & reliable make