Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for temp, but work from home

Thanks

Looking for temp, but work from home

Hi there

I never ever hired a temp, but may need one now to cover the leave of a staff member for 3 weeks or so. Do employment agencies provide people who work from home as I do not have business premisses. Its a simple job to take calsl adn respond and process emails using Excel.

If agencies do that do you have any recommendation for such agency in Cape Town (Southern Subs)?
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Suspended
    Thanks
    I know of a very good company / person that does exactly this - I will pm you you

Thanks
    Thanks Kevin (HR Solutions), will make contact with them.
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    As an alternative to employing a temporary worker (which comes with legislative risks & responsibilities), have you considered contracting a freelancer instead?

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I promise you - this lady that owns this company has been doing this for years and has ironed out all possible problems. You will have no risk whatsoever so don't worry.

Thanks
    Hi Greig, can you elaborate? To me somebody I take in for a few weeks is the same as a freelancer. Its merely to cover one of my work from home contractors (as I call them) who is on leave.
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have had between 10 and 20 temps on our books for years now. There are certain things that we have to abide by, but absolutely no problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Hi Greig, can you elaborate? To me somebody I take in for a few weeks is the same as a freelancer. Its merely to cover one of my work from home contractors (as I call them) who is on leave.
    There is an important legal difference between employing a worker and contracting a freelancer.

If you employ someone (even if only on a temporary basis), then you need to comply with the labour laws and any applicable employees tax responsibilities. In particular, you need to pay close attention to the new regulations for non-permanent employees that were recently introduced since there are potential severe risks (e.g. the possibility of temporary employment being "converted" into permanent employment).

If you contract a freelancer, you do not need to comply with any labour laws and don't need to worry about employees tax (provided that they are actually an independent contractor and not deemed to be an employee). You and your freelancer are simply bound by the terms of your contract / agreement (which can mean much fewer headaches).

Both approaches have pros and cons. However, if I was planning to pay someone to perform work on a temporary and remote basis, then I would seriously consider sub-contracting over employment.

The distinction between an employee and an independent contractor is assessed on a case by case basis, but key factors include:

* The intention of the contracting parties (i.e. whether you and the person who you hire intended an employment or independent relationship)
    * The extent to which the person you hire is economically dependent on your work (i.e. whether they have other clients and income streams)
    * The scope of autonomy and control (e.g. whether the person you hire must work specific hours and at your premises or not)
    * The extent to which the person you hire uses your resources (e.g. computer) or has their own

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Thanks
    Thanks Craig, but all very confusing.

I simply need someone for three weeks. That someone can work where s/he wants (but not on my lap) and has to use his/her own gear. There a few time lines to stick to, but otherwise s/he can work any time. Is that freelancing or temp employment or sub contracting?
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551

Thanks
    It's confusing because there is no black-and-white distinction between employment and sub-contracting. There are guidelines, but they have to be applied on a case by case basis.

Given your situation, I would say there is a strong argument to be made for sub-contracting since the person wouldn't be subject to your direct supervision, will be using their own resources, and can choose when and where they work. Two other important factors would be whether the person wants (or expects) to be employed (instead of sub-contracted) as well as the extent to which they will be economically dependent on your work (i.e. whether they have other clients / projects / income streams).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast