Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraudulent clients

Email problem
    Thanks

Fraudulent clients

What is the best approach with regards to designing a website for somebody who's business does not seem legitimate.

Most cases with small companies i do not worry , but recently i had a 'engineering' company. of course i asked them for any certifications and registrations as from the little i know these things mean a lot in the engineering world.

They could however not provide me with any.

Do i as a web designer and content writer have any responsibility regarding the validity od this company ?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Im not sure why you think its your responsibility to question an Engineering company ? The engineering company may be anything from making small parts to big structures with a silent engineer partner !! Your job is to do their website - your only responsibility is to make sure you get paid, either with a deposit upfront and payment on completion or any way you choose.

Personally if you as a website company ask me for my credentials before you do the job - I would go somewhere else !!

Email problem
    Thanks
    I would never ask for credentials and i have clauses regarding deposits and such. Perhaps i was unclear in my initial question let me expand.

I do not know if said company is fraudulent, it just got me wondering what if i do come across that situation.

Yes as a web designer i understand what you are saying, but as web designers, we at times get asked to do seo. We have to start writing content for these guys to enhance their search engine rankings. Build external links for them to reputable sources ect ect we are basically validifying them for a search engine's and users. That is when i find the question arises.

When im putting my own words into their pages and linking communities.

Suspended
    Thanks
    There are fraudulent / unethical clients everywhere - we see plenty - we have a job of work to do at the end of the day - we choose to work for them or walk away.

Email problem
    Thanks
    yes i only asked for certifications because i was infact doing seo for them and knew it would be of great value content wise on their website, it was not intended to prove to myself that they are indeed legitimate. They could possibly be a silent partner as you say.

My question though lets say they are fraudsters and get caught by the law , do i with what i have written and marketed for them online have any issues with the law or not ?

I guess if i am not benefiting from what they are doing and had no idea maybe not, like you say its not my job to investigate clients credibility but to enhance their online presence , then its purely a question of moral standards.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes it just boils down to morals. Unfortunately we cannot save the world ....... Not in this country .

Thanks
    Do you not have a clause in your contract with the client stating your are not responsible for the contents of the website? Just to be on the save side?

8. Thanks given for this post:

New Perspective studio (19-Jul-17)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Man now i feel stupid ... well that s why im here to learn i guess ... thanks padjakkels

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    Man now i feel stupid ... well that s why im here to learn i guess ... thanks padjakkels
    We all had to learn somewhere. At a clause on your invoices... something like if they pay the invoice, they accept your terms and conditions, which is on your website for everyone to see and read. Just for the extra cover.

11. Thanks given for this post:

New Perspective studio (21-Jul-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty safe to say if you uploaded content knowing it was fraudulent, you would likely be deemed party to the fraud.

The question I guess is - how hard are you supposed to look?

13. Thanks given for this post:

New Perspective studio (21-Jul-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast